[FT] Rangers 4 - 0 Motherwell (Kent, Hagi, Aribo, OG)

36 minutes ago, craig said:

The 3rd goal of the night was the best by far.  I thought Aribo was outstanding tonight.

No doubting his footwork was exquisite. Seen suggestions he's bulked up somewhat in comparison to last season. Put on some muscle.

7 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Another excellent performance 

While I feel a reluctance to read too much into pre-season friendlies, the other side of that coin is I would probably have been critical and worried if they hadn't impressed. They looked more than competent against top quality in France, and totally overpowering against what finished 3rd in Scotland last season.

What more could we ask for.

Poor show - should have reached double figures tonight. 

It'd also be good if we could arrange pre-season games against teams not intent on injuring our players.

Aribo was great.  Kent's finish was terrific.  Motherwell's defence was shite.  Steve Davis was rubbish.  

Didn’t see the game due to the change in kick off time.  Sounds pretty positive.  

How did Motherwell set up? Did it feel like what they would do in a normal game? I.e. men behind the ball and chucking hammers around?

One more friendly remaining and will interesting to see Saturday's team.

Think the starting 11 tonight is our starting 11 at Pittodrie (with the possibility of Shagger in goal). 

Still need 3 or 4 signings who are 1st team / starter material if we don't lose any of our top players.  

Interesting 10 days ahead. 

7 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Didn’t see the game due to the change in kick off time.  Sounds pretty positive.  

How did Motherwell set up? Did it feel like what they would do in a normal game? I.e. men behind the ball and chucking hammers around?

Yup much as expected and as you've said - hammerthowing and packed defence. They did come out a little in 2nd half.

Decent performance, decent goals and a decent work out. All positive, Defoe injury apart. 

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Yup much as expected and as you've said - hammerthowing and packed defence. They did come out a little in 2nd half.

Decent performance, decent goals and a decent work out. All positive, Defoe injury apart. 

That’s good because we’ve found it tough to find ways to break down packed defences at times.  I’ve not quite worked out whether that’s a simple case of not having or showing enough quality at the right times, or whether that happens more frequently when we go through phases of playing 2 games a week for a couple of months.  Or maybe it’s both.  

Either way, it looks like the management team and players have used lockdown and pre season well in terms of performances so far. 

Edited by stewarty

The front 3 looked to be a little narrower (as did the pitch weirdly) than last season and interchanged frequently. 

We were also moving the pall quicker / faster with short passes and 1-2s, none more so for Aribos goal. 

Whilst Borna got forward as much as usual, Tav appeared more defensive. Not a criticism, just looked a tweak to the formation.