Optimistic Or Pessimistic?

I have watched all four pre-season games and remain cautiously optimistic.

There is a rub and I witnessed elements of it in all four games. It goes back to the second half of last season. We are pressed high, the opposition regain possession in the middle of the park. We are narrow and usher the opposition down our flanks. The crosses into our box begin, then become more frequent. We do not stop the crosses, we defend from within our box. In Europe, the opposition continue to attempt to get in behind, and we appear comfortable defending. It also allows us opportunities to counter attack, and we are effective.

In the domestic game, the high press and resultant turn over in possession results in the ball being shelled into our box, mostly long diagonals. It's all angles. Think Tynecastle, Rugby Park, Pittodrie, ....etc. We cannot get out, and eventually we concede. The point is, our midfield and full backs do not contest the crosses being struck. Think about the final 15-20 minutes at those grounds, increasingly the game passed our midfield.

We need strength, running power, and a couple of tacklers in our defensive mix. Two games at the end of the first half of last season. We go to Easter Road and batter Hibs 0-3. Our energy that night was impressive. A week later, Pittodrie, start on fir, race into a 0-2 lead, should have been more, concede before half-time and succumb to their game and level in the second. We draw 2-2, because we are forced back, and pinned.

If we can sign a couple of horses for different occurring courses, we might be okay in sustaining a challenge.

Share a lot of the concerns about the developments needed in our squad, especially in attack.  I think we will face a stubborn Aberdeen who will immediately try to exploit the weakness highlighted by @26th of foot

Overall I'm optimistic, but agree we need to get off to a good start.  My working assumption is that Michael Beale has been working hard with Gerrard at improving our tactical flexibility and to give us tools to adapt our game to the situations that arise.   Part of that is going to be taking our chances and maintaining discipline - something we have not done at crucial times.

30 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Share a lot of the concerns about the developments needed in our squad, especially in attack.  I think we will face a stubborn Aberdeen who will immediately try to exploit the weakness highlighted by @26th of foot

Overall I'm optimistic, but agree we need to get off to a good start.  My working assumption is that Michael Beale has been working hard with Gerrard at improving our tactical flexibility and to give us tools to adapt our game to the situations that arise.   Part of that is going to be taking our chances and maintaining discipline - something we have not done at crucial times.

Agree about the tactics. It was highly evident in most of the pre season games I managed to catch, that we were making a conscious effort not to go long via the GK unless it was it was a last resort. If we can genuinely nail this, IMO it's one way to negate games turning into a battle with very little midfield action. Alan McGregor is too quick to relinquish possession for me

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

6 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Too many hurdles to overcome! cheating refs, corrupt SPFL/SFA, attacks from the Scottish gutter press resulting in belated suspensions from the placed CO. 

We have just witnessed Separate Entity FC being handed a title, the corruption in voting!.

How can anyone seriously believe we will be allowed to challenge for the title?.

saved me having to type this up, this was exactly what i was going to say.

As I get older, I get more pessimistic and this season is no different. The absence of fans *may* have an impact on results, but we'll see. 

There is no doubting the quality of the team as shown in Europe and domestically until the shutdown. 

Need to keep our best 11 fit and firing on all cylinders and hope we can be more consistent. 

My heart says it's our year, my head says otherwise.

The Morelos transfer saga is not helpful to either the player or the club, and i'd rather see it resolved before the season starts , but I think the Aberdeen game will tell us a lot about how the season will pan out.

There's still a lack of leadership, which is worrying.

7 minutes ago, Franc Ergs said:

There's still a lack of leadership, which is worrying.

That’s my worry - as is a manager who doesn’t believe he has a leadership problem. 

I'm part of the "glass-half-full Loyals", put if we keep trying to dance our way through packed defences with but one striker and Kent, Hagi, Aribo et al don't weigh in with 10+ goals per player, the scene is set for more disappointment. It's all fine and well to play modern football against teams that "play" football. But when we start with 2 DMs at home against Livingston and Co. ... that's not modern.