Today I thought he was trying too hard! not a criticism, but I think this guy is going to prove to be a fantastic signing, he seems to lack a wee bit of pace but he can/will be a great player for us this season and I expect him to get a lot of goals this season due to his desire to shoot whenever he can, his match intelligence and eye for a forward pass is superb. Could prove to be our best signing! thoughts?.

He appears to have a very high football IQ. I think Gerrard is trying to maximize that IQ by putting him out on the wing and having him rotate inside with Kent. However by doing so he is magnifying one of his weaknesses, pace. Sit the guy in the center, and let him deal. Keep it simple stupid.

35 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Today I thought he was trying too hard! not a criticism, but I think this guy is going to prove to be a fantastic signing, he seems to lack a wee bit of pace but he can/will be a great player for us this season and I expect him to get a lot of goals this season due to his desire to shoot whenever he can, his match intelligence and eye for a forward pass is superb. Could prove to be our best signing! thoughts?.

I think he is just lacking match sharpness.

Quite a few times today I thought he used more touches than I would expect.

It will be better in a few weeks.