Latest NASA mission.

Just been watching latest NASA splashdown and takes me way back 50+ years to teenage days.

Sputnik/Yuri Gagarin/man on the moon/1966 and all that(boak).

Was an awestruck teenager at the happenings but began to think about things:- yes sputnik/Yuri Gagaran happened and so unfortunately did 1966.The moon landing yes,or did it?.,open to belief.

What strikes me now on seeing latest stats is how the hell did scientists or other work out exit/re-entry angle/temperatures etc. for the space fight?and why were the astronauts able to exit their capsules so quickly compared to this one today,covid19 excepted?.

I watched the return live, first splashdown with humans in 45 years. The computing power available to calculate re-entry parameters since that time is on another level. Materials too. Lightweight materials on the heat shield NASA could only have dreamed of during the Apollo missions.

Should be noted that this isn't on a par with an Apollo re-entry. Apollo craft were coming in around mach 40, the SpaceX vehicle around mach 22 or so.

2 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

The moon landing yes,or did it?.,open to belief.

Without a shadow of a  doubt they landed on the moon and not just once, six times. Apollo 11 and 12 landed. 13 famously had a problem en-route and failed to land but managed to loop around the moon and safely return in a remarkable but also somewhat lucky escape from disaster.

Then Apollo 14, 15, 16 and 17 all landed. The first time this hoax drivel was ever raised was in a spoof documentary that some simpletons took seriously.

Others learned you could make money out of these simpletons and it went from there.

Not nice to imply I might be a simpleton as my reference to questioning came via a documentary on TV which gave rise to the doubt,hence my statement.

I have no doubt about the rest of these missions but slight doubt over the first as a result of the documentary and the case of the one-upmanship that was part of the USA/Russian,shall we say fierce rivalry, of that era.

8 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Not nice to imply I might be a simpleton as my reference to questioning came via a documentary on TV which gave rise to the doubt,hence my statement.

I have no doubt about the rest of these missions but slight doubt over the first as a result of the documentary and the case of the one-upmanship that was part of the USA/Russian,shall we say fierce rivalry, of that era.

Apologies if you though I was implying that, it wasn't my intention. But the doubt you express over the first mission is actually further proof this hoax claim is untenable.

The height of the cold war, in a race with the USSR to be first to land. And in fact the Soviets had a mission ready to land a matter of weeks later which they cancelled. The whole point for them being to get there first. No point in spending vast sums of money and risking an embarrassing disaster to be second.

Now think about that. A superpower with all manner of satellite and surveillance technology can't track that craft all the way there and all the way back? Can't tell those transmissions are coming not from space then the moon from some studio? Or they did and decided to support the capitalists in their hoax?

There isn't a shadow of a doubt they landed six times. 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

There isn't a shadow of a doubt they landed six times. 

Thanks for your apology and regarding text quoted it was the shadows in the documentary which I accept are true but what I cannot understand is the US flag fluttering as I believe there is no atmosphere on the moon hence no winds?.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Thanks for your apology and regarding text quoted it was the shadows in the documentary which I accept are true but what I cannot understand is the US flag fluttering as I believe there is no atmosphere on the moon hence no winds?.

And nothing to stop it moving either.

58 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

If you mean this picture the answer is that it isn't fluttering.

spacer.png

The simple answer is, it isn’t flapping. That’s because it isn’t an ordinary flag. If the astronauts had planted a regular flag on the moon, it would’ve hung slack like flags do on Earth when there’s no wind.

This wouldn’t make for a very appealing photo, so NASA designed special flags for astronauts to take with them (all six Apollo missions that made it to the moon planted an American flag there).

These flags had a horizontal rod inside to make them stick out from the flagpole.

The Apollo 11 astronauts had trouble extending the rod all the way, and in still pictures, this creates a ripple effect that makes the flag look like it’s waving in the wind. In video images of the flag, you can see it only moves while the astronauts are grinding it into the moon’s surface.

After the astronauts step away, it stays in the same bent shape because of the partially-extended rod.

43 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Thanks that helps answer my question as I hadn't seen it that way before.

Yeah, the fact it just sticks out there hanging from the rod but unmoving while retaining the creases actually proves they're standing in a vacuum.