Poorest pupils Higher pass rate reduced by 15.2%

I don’t understand this analysis. Are they saying the exam authorities check the family salaries and bank accounts for all pupils before deciding grades?Looks like bollocks to me. Or are pupils these days streamed according to wealth?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Are they saying the exam authorities check the family salaries and bank accounts for all pupils before deciding grades?

Some clues:

Catchment areas.

Well-off suburbs.

Housing schemes.

I'm from a town with one high school, so kids from all backgrounds went there.  However, having lived in the city for over 20 years, you start to get an understanding of the socioeconomic backgrounds of people on the basis of what school they went to.

Not an exact science, obviously but there's no denying it's a thing.

I don't suppose it has occurred to Swinney there's a long-abandoned strategy that could solve all this mess.

Conduct equitable examinations for everyone, assess and cross-check results thoroughly and leave politics and social engineering the hell out of education.

Oh, and accept there is a natural range of abilities that will produce an inevitable range of outcomes, so stop fucking with the numbers.

Edited by Bill

8 minutes ago, compo said:

I wouldn't worry the cream will come to the top 

Tell that to the girl who missed out on the course she wanted because of what school she want to.

The SNP pretend to be all about equality, so this sort of thing should be shouted from the rooftops - it's yet another valid reason to decry their endless incompetence.