Official: Rangers sign Kemar Roofe

Only time will tell but I think Roofe may do a job. He hit 6 goals in 13 league games for Anderlecht who finished 8th in the Belgium league. That has to be a good return playing in a team that far down the ladder. Contrast it with our sheep 'rivals' superstar Cosgrove who hit 13 in 25 league games.

Roofe is now going to be playing in a side who will in general and unlike Anderlecht be far superior to and swarming all over the opposition. I will be expecting him to get up around 20 league goals. And expect him to be inspired to prove himself in Europe which will be a new experience for him.

Cedric Itten hit 19 goals in 34 league games for Gallen so we can expect him to be chipping in with his fair share too. He has been highly rated by many Swiss commentators as one to watch and one of the major reasons Gallen, who have a Swiss mid table market value, finished second in the league behind Young Boys.  

11 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I have heard of this guy at least from his time at Leeds but I must admit I don’t recall being overly impressed, either by him or his team. I hate the football on show in the Championship, it’s such poor quality with generally overpaid overhyped underachievers so I don’t watch much of it.

Like I’ve said on the Itten thread, I prefer to wait until I’ve seen these guys in the flesh and how they fit into our side, so I wish Roofe the very best of luck and can’t wait to see him in our team.

For those who know more about these 2 new signings and their positions and style of play, where do you see them fitting into our side? Is it one or the other? Can we play both and if so who misses out?  What are their goal/assist stats like over last couple of seasons? 

You weren't impressed by Leeds?! For me, they are one of the best sides in the country, behind only Liverpool and Man City. I'm a huge fan of Bielsa. Did you maybe watch them before Bielsa? Roofe didn't shine pre-Bielsa in a really poor side.

Roofe can play anywhere across the front line. He's two-footed, versatile and dynamic, with a bit of pace. I wouldn't say he's prolific, but I do expect him to lead the line well -- and, to be fair, no one asks more of their leading forward than Bielsa, and he thrived in that role -- and chip in with a decent amount of goals. I think he fits that fluid front-three that SG wants: Kent, Hagi and Roofe all running and inter-changing. 

I don't know much about Itten, but from the clips he looks like a penalty-box striker, or poacher, who likes to hover around the back-post to use his good aerial ability and has a knack of finding space. He looks like he has a bit of pace too when he gets going. I see him leading the line quite well. 

I think Roofe will be preferred at first, but he can play one of the other positions in our front three, so they could play together, with Itten leading the line and Roofe in one of the wider roles. 

33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You weren't impressed by Leeds?! For me, they are one of the best sides in the country, behind only Liverpool and Man City. I'm a huge fan of Bielsa. Did you maybe watch them before Bielsa? Roofe didn't shine pre-Bielsa in a really poor side.

Roofe can play anywhere across the front line. He's two-footed, versatile and dynamic, with a bit of pace. I wouldn't say he's prolific, but I do expect him to lead the line well -- and, to be fair, no one asks more of their leading forward than Bielsa, and he thrived in that role -- and chip in with a decent amount of goals. I think he fits that fluid front-three that SG wants: Kent, Hagi and Roofe all running and inter-changing. 

I don't know much about Itten, but from the clips he looks like a penalty-box striker, or poacher, who likes to hover around the back-post to use his good aerial ability and has a knack of finding space. He looks like he has a bit of pace too when he gets going. I see him leading the line quite well. 

I think Roofe will be preferred at first, but he can play one of the other positions in our front three, so they could play together, with Itten leading the line and Roofe in one of the wider roles. 

I was about to post something along these lines. I presuming we were keen on Roofe due to his Bielsa performances, which were more than decent. Whoever starts, there's one thing for sure, our first XI has been boosted but maybe more importantly our bench has been really beefed up. Our squad looks strong IMO

Encouraging signings, to say the least. The question for me is, are we going to continue playing one striker at a time or has our manager discovered enough flexibility to field both of these signings and have them both scoring goals?

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Encouraging signings, to say the least. The question for me is, are we going to continue playing one striker at a time or has our manager discovered enough flexibility to field both of these signings and have them both scoring goals?

Do the signings suggest we could be looking at 3-5-2 for certain games?

4 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Do the signings suggest we could be looking at 3-5-2 for certain games?

Hopefully a striker partnership for almost all domestic games