Official: Rangers sign Kemar Roofe

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Gerrard and Beale will find a way to shoehorn players into their tactical strategy, as we have seen for the past couple of seasons.

Without wanting to be too critical, inflexible tactics are becoming a bit of a worry.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hopefully a striker partnership for almost all domestic games

Could it be like a 4-2-4 like Liverpool used to play before Couthino get sold? Hagi playing the Coutinho role and our full backs bombing up and down to provide width? Before their current set up their front four were dubbed the fab 4. We've got the firepower. Let's bloody use it.

------Goldson---Balugon-----

Tav -----------------------Barasic

-------Jack---------Aribo----------

----------------Hagi-----------------

-----Roofe---------------Kent----

----------------Itten----------------

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

9 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Could it be like a 4-2-4 like Liverpool used to play before Couthino get sold?

------Goldson---Balugon-----

Tav -----------------------Barasic

-------Jack---------Aribo----------

----------------Hagi-----------------

-----Roofe---------------Kent----

----------------Itten----------------

That's not a 4-2-4; it's more of a 4-2-3-1. (And, Liverpool still played a 4-3-3 with Coutinho; he occupied the wide midfield position.)

I like it, though. That's where I'd like Aribo to play, which is roughly where he plays now. 

SG played a 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 with the Liverpool reserves. That would be interesting. 

I don't see us deviating from the 4-3-3, but with a couple of different forwards we certainly have more options. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

That's not a 4-2-4; it's more of a 4-2-3-1. 

I like it, though. That's where I'd like Aribo to play, which is roughly where he plays now. 

SG played a 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 with the Liverpool reserves. That would be interesting. 

I don't see us deviating from the 4-3-3, but with a couple of different forwards we certainly have more options. 

It would be exciting either way IMO. I called it a 4-2-4 simply because their "front" 4 were called the fab 4 back in the day 

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

Without wanting to be too critical, inflexible tactics are becoming a bit of a worry.

Time will tell, I suppose but the evidence suggests they'll continue to operate in the same way.

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

Inflexible tactics, or inflexible formations? Because they're not the same thing. 

The formation stays the same -- even though SG has evolved it -- but the tactics have varied. 

The tactics against the stubborn domestic sides have been found wanting -- at least during the second half of last season, which was more mental than anything else, for me. We can show it in flashes but we've not found a consistent way of breaking these sides down. 

I'd like to see changes in formation as much as the next guy, but I don't think it's needed. I believe we need to find variations of play within our 4-3-3. The issue was that while Defoe and Morelos had different strengths, they didn't really allow us to play differently

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Inflexible tactics, or inflexible formations? Because they're not the same thing. 

The formation stays the same -- even though SG has evolved it -- but the tactics have varied. 

The tactics against the stubborn domestic sides have been found wanting -- at least during the second half of last season, which was more mental than anything else, for me. We can show it in flashes but we've not found a consistent way of breaking these sides down. 

Not sure what the answers are but one thing that always stands out in these tight games for me is tempo. We start many of these games simply expecting to score and the tempo looks pedestrian. If I was a football manager I would be asking my teams to go and win all games in the first 45 minutes. Make it count and up the tempo. Look at Liverpool. They generally batter teams in the first 45 minutes and by half time the game is all but done. I hate the fact that we get to break in so many games level at 0-0. It puts so much pressure on the players in the 2nd half

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Not sure what the answers are but one thing that always stands out in these tight games for me is tempo. We start many of these games simply expecting to score and the tempo looks pedestrian. If I was a football manager I would be asking my teams to go and win all games in the first 45 minutes. Make it count and up the tempo. Look at Liverpool. They generally batter teams in the first 45 minutes and by half time the game is all but done. I hate the fact that we get to break in so many games level at 0-0. It puts so much pressure on the players in the 2nd half

Yes, tempo is huge for us: when we're at full pelt we look fantastic; then when we switch off we look vulnerable and impotent. 

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, tempo is huge for us: when we're at full pelt we look fantastic; then when we switch off we look vulnerable and impotent. 

Couldn't agree more. Just go for it from the bloody get go. No use signing attacking options and then starting the game with the hand break on.