Entertaining read, thanks. Plenty to be positive about. I think there are one or two missing pieces to the jigsaw that the sale of Morelos can hopefully bring about. If we could bring in a quality attacking midfielder with proven end product we would be in a really good place. 

7 hours ago, Frankie said:

And, with apologies to his army of detractors, he offered himself for those missed chances and for the whole team more than our other big money offensive option, Hagi Junior.

Did Fat Eck miss Barker jogging rather than sprinting to support Kent's attack around 60 minutes? I don't recall Hagi (or any other Rangers player) actively trying to ensure he's not on the end of a chance.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

Did Fat Eck miss Barker jogging rather than sprinting to support Kent's attack around 60 minutes? I don't recall Hagi (or any other Rangers player) actively trying to ensure he's not on the end of a chance.

You'll have to ask @Fat Eck the man himself... ;)

To be fair, in such situations, it's not all about sprinting but trying to ensure you're in the right position for when the cross comes.  In that situation it looked like Barker wasn't trying but I think he was just trying to stay out of the line of the defender by remaining slightly deeper instead of running past his line into an offside position.

Generally, I find it difficult to defend Barker as he's making too many elementary errors: his first touch when put clear in the first half was awful whilst his finish (after a better first touch that time) was poor when he hit the side-netting in the second.  However, aside from those, I thought he played OK and helped create space for others by taking up some good positions.  It's worth remembering that Kent was inconsistent previously and is only really delivering as well as he can now.

In that respect, I'd argue it's worth persevering with Barker for another few matches, instead of rotating him back out for a Jones or a Stewart.  However, with Itten and Aribo likely to be fit again after the break and, perhaps another attacking player brought in, I think Barker will be back out of the team.

29 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Actually I remember he was slightly impeded by a defender which slowed his run but I might be wrong.

4 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Actually I remember he was slightly impeded by a defender which slowed his run but I might be wrong.

I went and watched it again. Hagi runs forward with the ball. Barker and Kent are both running forward. Barker runs yards off-side,, and I'm not convinced that wasn't deliberate. The ball gets played to Kent as the onside player. Barker starts jogging, there's contact between him and another player and he continues to jog, and never once looked like he was trying to  get clear. J=He looks like he was always trying to keep a defender between him and Kent.

The only plausible excuse I can think of was that he was knackered and didn't have enough energy to make a proper run.

Maybe I'm being unfair on the boy, and obviously he's showing something in training, but Jones and Middleton both look better players.