7 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I’d take JC over any of today’s politicos. He was competent.

As a Classicist, no. He ended the Republic and thus the Greek, the better ones, model. But he was competent. In light of current affairs though, yes. 

3 minutes ago, bmck said:

As a Classicist, no. He ended the Republic and thus the Greek, the better ones, model. But he was competent. In light of current affairs though, yes. 

The Republic was long gone. Sulla?

7 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

The Republic was long gone. Sulla?

Yeah, fair enough. You're right. Ceaser did Imperial so well though - though obviously hat doff to Augustus - felt like door closed. But it was long since. Meh to my point. There were still vestiges of it though, I guess was the point I should have made. Till he crossed the Rubicon.

Edited by bmck

I think you'll find the divine Gaius Octavius restored the republic, ensuring the glorious Pax Romana. He slew the traitors that murdered his divine father, driving them into exile and punishing their deeds by due process of law, and afterwards when they waged war upon the republic he twice defeated them in battle. He even refused the dictatorship and many other triumphs and honours bestowed upon him by the Senate and the people. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I think you'll find the divine Gaius Octavius restored the republic, ensuring the glorious Pax Romana. He slew the traitors that murdered his divine father, driving them into exile and punishing their deeds by due process of law, and afterwards when they waged war upon the republic he twice defeated them in battle. He even refused the dictatorship and many other triumphs and honours bestowed upon him by the Senate and the people. 

Sorry, disagree on this one. As much as a fan as I am of the man, truly, the solidifying of everything around one person, all enemies gone. He was Emperor in everything but name, further solidified the concept. Not taking the title after all his military victories ensured he was The One, was just shrewd politicianing.  He ushered in an age that was golden but ultimately Imperial but Republically-looking - it was simply a better form of Emperor. You’ll notice they didn’t take long to revert. The model hadn’t truly changed. He was one of the shrewdest rulers - and he was a ruler - and operators ever. And he did genuine good too. I love the guy, but the idea he restored the republic is too much. 

Edited by bmck

7 minutes ago, bmck said:

Sorry, disagree on this one. As much as a fan as I am of the man, truly, the solidifying of everything around one person, all enemies gone. He was Emperor in everything but name, further solidified the concept. Not taking the title after all his military victories ensured he was The One, was just shrewd politicianing.  He ushered in an age that was golden but ultimately Imperial but Republically-looking - it was simply a better form of Emperor. You’ll notice they didn’t take long to revert. The model hadn’t truly changed. He was one of the shrewdest rulers - and he was a ruler - and operators ever. And he did genuine good too. I love the guy, but the idea he restored the republic is too much. 

I was kidding. 

I basically paraphrased the opening of his Res Gestae, for a bit of humour.

Apparently it wasn't that funny... 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was kidding. 

I basically paraphrased the opening of his Res Gestae, for a bit of humour.

Apparently it wasn't that funny... 

Goodness I should have spotted that a mile off….. shame on me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It now turns out the drone strike dopey Joe gave presidential approval for murdered a van filled with children, he has a patsy of a general taking the blame for the debacle. 

But if I remember it was Harry Truman who set the bar by declaring the buck stops hear Biden's just a war criminal.