Greg Docherty makes Rangers return claim

Greg Docherty makes Rangers return claim as Hull City midfielder opens up on devastating Ibrox exit

The die-hard Rangers fan joined Hull City this summer after being told he was not a part of Steven Gerrard's plans.

Greg Docherty has opened up on his devastating exit from Rangers - but is open to an Ibrox return one day.

The die-hard Light Blues fan joined Hull City this summer after being told he was not a part of Steven Gerrard's plans.

And the midfielder has been brutally honest about his difficult decision to leave the club and is crushed that his time at Rangers didn't go to according to plan.

Docherty says it "doesn't sit well" with him and it's something that will "hang over" him for a while.

He told the Milngavie Herald: “I think anyone you ask in and around the club, they knew that, even in training every single day I gave my all.

“I don’t think it was the case that I wasn’t good enough, it was just that my style of play maybe wasn’t suited to the manager who’s currently there at the moment. And that’s fine, that’s football and it happens all the time.

“It was obviously more difficult because when I got the move to the club it was one I had wanted my whole life.

“When you’re getting paid to play football and you’re not playing you can feel a bit helpless and hopeless and I just wanted to get in control again.

“My first start for Rangers at Ibrox against Hearts was a really special day. But it’s something that is going to hang over me for a while, the fact that I went there and it didn’t work out the way I wanted it to.

“That doesn’t sit well with me.”

The 23-year-old looks to revive his career at Hull and show what he's all about.

But Docherty is hopeful that he hasn't closed the door on a potential return to Rangers after leaving on "good terms".

Docherty added: “It can happen at any club and I’ve just got to take that I wasn’t suited to the style of play.

“I can take that on the chin and I’m at the age where I can go and prove myself.

“Hopefully I don’t close the door and I left on good terms and I’ve done myself and reputation alright. It’s not as if I spat the dummy for not playing and I’m hoping that door’s not closed. In the future you never know.

“It was a special moment but I’m not happy with only making 20-odd appearances. I’m really disappointed with that but sometimes it’s outwith my control and I had to just go and cut ties for the moment, start afresh and really focus on Hull City.”

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-news-greg-docherty-hull-18872179

I watched the obligatory, 'Welcome to Hull City' interview. The man's eyes said it all...I feel for him. That shit has to sting bad. I am gonna try to watch some of their games...despite them dog's ass ugly kits...Grown men wearing tiger stripes...Lord!