Premier League 2020/21

4 hours ago, Gribz said:

Frank under pressure at Chelsea. I would say he took this job too early in his career and not having an experienced No.2 has hampered him.

Just like John Greig though Lampard did have a wee apprenticeship at Derby. Ferguson did it the right way, East Stirlingshire, St Mirren and Aberdeen before missing out on the Big One and joining United. Even McNeill did Clyde and Aberdeen before having a go as Chief Tramp.

29 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Just like John Greig though Lampard did have a wee apprenticeship at Derby. Ferguson did it the right way, East Stirlingshire, St Mirren and Aberdeen before missing out on the Big One and joining United. Even McNeill did Clyde and Aberdeen before having a go as Chief Tramp.

Yup, he probably should have stayed at Derby another year or moved to a mid table Premier club. I dont think it can be underestimated how Gerrard has got his back room team spot on and Frank could really be done with the late great Ray Wilkins. It may actually harm him long term and he will end up back down in the Championship - thats unless he turns it round.

For me he is making a huge mistake playing 4-3-3. They are screaming out for 4-5-1 (dont like to use the example) but 4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 is exactly what they need. No way can Werner, Havertz and Ziyech not click.

4 hours ago, Gribz said:

Yup, he probably should have stayed at Derby another year or moved to a mid table Premier club. I dont think it can be underestimated how Gerrard has got his back room team spot on and Frank could really be done with the late great Ray Wilkins. It may actually harm him long term and he will end up back down in the Championship - thats unless he turns it round.

For me he is making a huge mistake playing 4-3-3. They are screaming out for 4-5-1 (dont like to use the example) but 4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 is exactly what they need. No way can Werner, Havertz and Ziyech not click.

That's a good call as Ancellotti relied on Ray massively until Ray was sacked which then undermined Ancellotti and he was sacked after limping on for a while. 

With both those formations the 2 or the 1 (defensive midfielders) are crucial. With a 2 Jorginho can get the ball and set things going, but Kante must have some discipline and patrol the space in front of the back four. Too often have we been exposed when he or whoever is playing there fucks off up the park and a break is on. Use the rest of this season to get the 4 new players used to playing in the PL and then sort the defence out in time for next year with dominant CH and Keeper being a priority.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Did they not just shell out for the French lad - is he not up to scratch?

Yes they did as an urgent replacement for Kepa who had just lost it. Jury is out on Mendy, though this may be also that the defence is all over the place at times, so i'd like them to get in a youngster as a long term replacement as we did with Cech and Courtois. 

Burnley end Liverpool's 68 match unbeaten home record with a 1-0 win at Anfield. Watching the game was like watching some of our recent games. Full backs nullified in forward areas, no-one getting in behind and a glut of aimless crosses being lapped up be defenders. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

On 23/01/2021 at 08:35, Gribz said:

Im taking Villa all day long here. They are playing well and Newcastle are being dragged into the relegation battle.

Villa 2-0 Newcastle.

That was easy ?

Puts more pressure on Steve Bruce. At any other club / chairman he would probably have gone. But with Rafa available again you never know if a return would be on the cards.