Premier League 2020/21

9 hours ago, Scott7 said:

As a callow youth I was influenced by a cup final victory and a centre forward called Ronnie Allen a Jeff Astle  of his time.

As for the Hammers, Ray Stewart was a cracking good player.

Interesting. I dont recall Ray Stewart though - did he play for Dundee Utd? I will need to search. But I remember Liam Brady spraying balls around like it was a training exercise. My fave West Ham player of that era was Stuart Slater - he used to destroy defenders. then he went to Celtic and it finished him. I was a junior hammer and was on the pitch when Billy Bonds took charge.

Cracking result for Chelsea.

I particularly enjoyed it as I can't stand that ersatz and franchised side. 

A repeat in the CL Final would be excellent, and highly amusing. 

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Cracking result for Chelsea.

I particularly enjoyed it as I can't stand that ersatz and franchised side. 

A repeat in the CL Final would be excellent, and highly amusing. 

Could the same accusation not be made of Chelsea? 

I used to really like Man City and went down to see them a few times.  Cracking club and fans but the whole thing has been diluted considerably since the UAE takeover and I've gradually lost interest.

I don't see much difference between what's gone on at City and clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea though - just foreign playthings/vanity projects.

Pep Guardiola is a good manager but an annoying twat.

I hope they beat Chelsea in the CL final - mainly because I've never liked the London clubs and it'll annoy Man Utd fans.  

48 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't see much difference between what's gone on at City and clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea though - just foreign playthings/vanity projects.

Roman Abramovich is a business man and a rogue, who made lots and lots of money following the collapse of the Soviet Union. I have no doubt that his ethics were -and are still, perhaps- questionable, generally, and in pursuit of business opportunities. When he bought Chelsea, it was bruited that this was a move to raise his profile in a democratic country, and, thus, make it more difficult for enemies in Russia to target him. I don't know the truth of this, but, overall, given the origins of his astounding wealth,  I agree that he might be regarded as less than totally, well, kosher. 

The Glazers are just a shower of cu nts. They are very rich Americans who acquired Manchester United via a leveraged buy out, which they almost immediately converted into a totally leveraged buy out by saddling the Club with, as far as I can see, the total cost, in debt, of its own acquisition. 

It is a bit more complicated, I think, but it does his look like pretty sharp practice, and of course, the money that the Club makes is, for the most part directed to interest payments and to debt reduction. The Glazers pay themselves Directors' Fees and expenses, natch.  

The Club remains in debt, not through any financial profligacy of its football operations, but through the very means of its acquisition in the first place. 

The Glazers have, now a -what?- £3Billion+ asset, which cost them very little of their own money, and little risk. 

Nice work if you can get it. 

No wonder the support hates their guts. 

Manchester Citeh is in a different league from the robber barons of Machester United, and the unscrupulous owner of Chelsea. 

Lay aside the fact that this Club has driven a camel train through any vestiges of Financial Fair Play, and level competition. It is owned by one part of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi, and most of its sponsorship income comes from other parts of the same outfit. It could not, and would not generate that income from another sources.  That is a relatively minor part of it. 

Have a look at the article linked below:

https://medium.com/@NcGeehan/the-men-behind-man-city-a-documentary-not-coming-soon-to-a-cinema-near-you-14bc8e393e06

Different league, and yet the press and the football industry fawns over the franchise. 

Edited by Uilleam

It's quite bizarre how human rights abuses on the Arabian peninsula are often totally overlooked and yet Brits are asked to apologise for things that happened over 200 years ago (and only a tiny, elite group of Brits were involved).

Having read that, my interest in City has dimmed away completely.