[FT] Hibernian 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 45+1; Arfield 57)

I actually find SG comments about Porteous embarrassing. We shouldn't be lowering ourselves to that wee smug prick's level.

Bitterly disappointed with that result today. You have to win games like that to win titles and we just don't have the bottle to win them

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

It’s September. You win or lose nothing in September. Remember Marvin Andrews and settle down for a long and bumpy ride. 

I think that's a good point. A bit surprised at some of the post match reaction on here today. Glad I do not see some of the other forums if they are worse!

For whats it's worth my reflections are:

1. We did not lose, playing away to 3rd best form team at a notorious tricky venue in the past.
  2. Each of our victories so far have been against teams deploying a low block. Hibs bucked that trend by playing more openly and exploiting our left flank in particular. We did not look particularly comfortable in parts of the match as Hibs asked questions of us defensively.
  3. Our midfield lacked a more physical edge needed in a game like this. Jack was missed, and there is a need for another robust centre mid.
  4. The refereeing was again sub standard but we need to get used to that. It won't change.

In summary, we've played better but we are still top. Ross gets some (reluctant) credit for making it an open game with chances and good saves at both ends. We grumble on here about teams spoiling games by their negative set up. Hibs were over physical at times, but they asked questions of us today. If they play the same way next weekend they will ask questions of Celtic as well. Remember, it's September.

6 minutes ago, Ted McMinnime said:

I think that's a good point. A bit surprised at some of the post match reaction on here today. Glad I do not see some of the other forums if they are worse!

1. We did not lose, playing away to 3rd best form team at a notorious tricky venue in the past.
  2. Each of our victories so far have been against teams deploying a low block. Hibs bucked that trend by playing more openly and exploiting our left flank in particular. We did not look particularly comfortable in parts of the match as Hibs asked questions of us defensively.
  3. Our midfield lacked a more physical edge needed in a game like this. Jack was missed, and there is a need for another robust centre mid.
  4. The refereeing was again sub standard but we need to get used to that. It won't change.

In summary, we've played better but we are still top. Ross gets some (reluctant) credit for making it an open game with chances and good saves at both ends. We grumble on here about teams spoiling games by their negative set up. Hibs were over physical at times, but they asked questions of us today. If they play the same way next weekend they will ask questions of Celtic as well. Remember, it's September.

Yep, I did the positive post thing after the Livi game, you know, blaming the hellish surface and anti-football, and that it was only August... 

Today, I'm not in such a mood.

To be honest, I was overly confident on getting a result today. I let myself be fooled by the clean sheet record and that we were still top of the league (although that slipped away just before kick-off) despite having never really found 3rd gear in any of our games to date. 

Now I see the reality, the one I chose not to sneak-a-peak at earlier, and I now realise that we are a long way off being title challengers. We don't have the metal to find that one goal that will show we can fight...and win when up against it. Since the first game, Aberdeen away (when maybe we were just not a rusty as they were), the two biggest challenges we've faced have been Livi and Hibs away, and we failed to take the 3 points from either. 

Don't get me wrong, there IS a long way to go. We play them in a few weeks, and a win there will set us up nicely for some deja vu and another chance to get excited about it being our year. And that'll give me some more hope until we fall at beechers again. 

I'll never learn. 

36 minutes ago, Ted McMinnime said:

I haven't seen any bad posts on here! I see a lot of posts saying we were poor today,  myself included 

43 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

One thing I would say about their second goal is Katic would never get beaten the way Helander did. 

Just saying.... 

... watch the 1st half again and Helander was blocking and thwarting attacks all across the defence. Doidge was all over his back pushing him down and on another day with another ref ...

Thing is, we did not just lose points because of Hibs grabbing two goals. We once again failed to apply pressure where it could have hit them most, instead passing the ball between too many non-attacking MFs while Hagi and Kent needed quite some time to "find their feet" and did not deliver quality touches and passes. Likewise, we should have played another real attacker to keep Hibs from becoming too adventurous, which they did.

In any case, a good test ahead of Willem II.

28 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

... watch the 1st half again and Helander was blocking and thwarting attacks all across the defence. Doidge was all over his back pushing him down and on another day with another ref ...

Thing is, we did not just lose points because of Hibs grabbing two goals. We once again failed to apply pressure where it could have hit them most, instead passing the ball between too many non-attacking MFs while Hagi and Kent needed quite some time to "find their feet" and did not deliver quality touches and passes. Likewise, we should have played another real attacker to keep Hibs from becoming too adventurous, which they did.

In any case, a good test ahead of Willem II.

It's perhaps a bit harsh to criticise Helander considering his overall good performance. If anything, it was our other central defender who found it hard to repeat his early season form.

I know we have covered the Tav thing in the past but again today his mistakes/crossing and most of all decision making were again poor.

The mistake and crossing were obvious but the decision making shown in the last few minutes was when we had a free kick a few yards outside the box.The position was tailor made for a Borna attempt but what does our glorious captain do takes it and floats a beautiful cross straight to their keeper,definitively change needed IMO.