[FT] Hibernian 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 45+1; Arfield 57)

16 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

The difference between the teams today was their hunger - they were psyched up and defended like their lives depended on it. Our defense had no such ‘urgency’ it was almost complacent (perhaps our clean sheet record went to their heads) , which was very disappointing after coming from behind. It’s like we never learnt our lesson from their first goal. From the start of the second half I thought we had found a way to dominate and win, but then complacency set in and we threw it away. 

I was surprised not to see SG screaming from the touchline, after all the one benefit of empty stadiums is that coaches can make themselves heard. 
in looking for positives, I’d say better to learn our lesson now and go on another 3 game winning run :) 

Agreed WBD - disappointing to see our "Iron curtain" defence was more curtains than iron - Young, Shaw & Woodburn they most certainly are not.

The most worrying thing here was the timing of these dropped points. Bottle has been a major point of discussion due to the fact that the 3 or 4 times Rangers have gone top of the league in the past couple of seasons, we have dropped points in the very next game and handed the theoretical top spot straight back to Celtic. This was a different situation but pretty much the same, Celtic win yesterday and this was the first time we are in a position where if we don’t win, we cede 1st position to them and, lo and behold, we do. So mentality is a concern again this season. 

On the actual game, the failure to hold a lead with half an hour left is really not good enough. Walter’s team knew not to risk too much when you are in that position, especially away from home. 

Those are my biggest concerns. I’m not hugely concerned about the individual performances. Though it is good to see Arfield proving people wrong again. He can play with his back to goal and link up play in tight spaces which some of our attacking midfielders can’t really do. He is still a quality player. 

It was of course good to see Kent get his first league assist since February 19. Why can’t the manager see how effective he could be on the right? With his pace he could be getting to the byline all the time. 

Edited by DMAA

25 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The most worrying thing here was the timing of these dropped points. Bottle has been a major point of discussion due to the fact that the 3 or 4 times Rangers have gone top of the league in the past couple of seasons, we have dropped points in the very next game and handed the theoretical top spot straight back to Celtic. This was a different situation but pretty much the same, Celtic win yesterday and this was the first time we are in a position where if we don’t win, we cede 1st position (theoretical due to game in hand) to them and, lo and behold, we do. So mentality is a concern again this

Crossed my mind too DMAA.

44 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The most worrying thing here was the timing of these dropped points. Bottle has been a major point of discussion due to the fact that the 3 or 4 times Rangers have gone top of the league in the past couple of seasons, we have dropped points in the very next game and handed the theoretical top spot straight back to Celtic. This was a different situation but pretty much the same, Celtic win yesterday and this was the first time we are in a position where if we don’t win, we cede 1st position to them and, lo and behold, we do. So mentality is a concern again this season. 

On the actual game, the failure to hold a lead with half an hour left is really not good enough. Walter’s team knew not to risk too much when you are in that position, especially away from home. 

Those are my biggest concerns. I’m not hugely concerned about the individual performances. Though it is good to see Arfield proving people wrong again. He can play with his back to goal and link up play in tight spaces which some of our attacking midfielders can’t really do. He is still a quality player. 

It was of course good to see Kent get his first league assist since February 19. Why can’t the manager see how effective he could be on the right? With his pace he could be getting to the byline all the time. 

That's not true though, not yet anyway.  We still are top albeit the advantage is with them if they win their game in hand.  But as Bill says, nothing is handed out in September.

Outside of OF games, this season Hibs away will be the hardest game we have all year as Jack Ross has them well drilled.  I would be far from surprised if Hibs take points off Celtic too.  I would also rather our defence gets a wake up call this early in the season.  A defence that hasnt conceded in 8 games is always going to be prone to complacency.  Now they have conceded they hopefully will get back to focussing and concentrating on being stingy to other forwards again.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

That's not true though, not yet anyway.  We still are top albeit the advantage is with them if they win their game in hand.

I did have "(theoretically due to their game in hand)" in the sentence but I took it out because it was too wordy. You are essentially ceding the top spot by dropping points in that position, whether you get off with it is another matter.

I look at the league race like the Derby weve came out the stalls well made a good start but the race is just two furlongs gone the favourites are tucked in behind us the race doesn't unfold until they come round Tattenham corner on to the downhill on to the home straight until we reach the winning line in front of the stand .

There's still ten furlongs to go no need for panic. 

11 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

I know we have covered the Tav thing in the past but again today his mistakes/crossing and most of all decision making were again poor.

The mistake and crossing were obvious but the decision making shown in the last few minutes was when we had a free kick a few yards outside the box.The position was tailor made for a Borna attempt but what does our glorious captain do takes it and floats a beautiful cross straight to their keeper,definitively change needed IMO.

It was too far out for an effective attempt on goal.