[FT] Hibernian 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 45+1; Arfield 57)

13 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

One thing I would say about their second goal is Katic would never get beaten the way Helander did. 

Just saying.... 

Go back and watch the matches where we dropped points last season.

McDairmid park for example.

Katic falls short in other ways.

18 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Our defence today failed---Borna too easily beaten allowing pass for first goal.---Even allowing for blatant off-side,Tav too easily beaten and Helander static at cross,might have been chance for McLaughlin to try a nd punch ball but as I say MIGHT.

Go back and watch the first goal again. Watch Davis instead of Barišić. He runs for the line and leaves the scorer wide open.

If you still need more persuasion then think about how often we put a cross into the box without scoring. A well positioned defence doesn't need to worry about letting crosses in.

18 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I was surprised not to see SG screaming from the touchline, after all the one benefit of empty stadiums is that coaches can make themselves heard.

Is this how football fans see football?

the team is under-performing, i need to start screaming 

Laughable really. I suppose that is what many fans do at matches or when watching on television. I just don't know why anyone imagines that a manager should do it.

Helander is excellent. I don't think it's fair to blame him for being beaten to that ball. He is normally excellent in the air, and even the most dominant defenders in the world are sometimes beaten to balls when the momentum is with the attacker, and they jump first with their arms on the defender.

On a different matter, I have criticised Morelos at times for his build up play so I'll give him credit for another expertly taken, instinctive finish. Really good to see him putting those in.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Is this how football fans see football?

the team is under-performing, i need to start screaming 

Laughable really. I suppose that is what many fans do at matches or when watching on television. I just don't know why anyone imagines that a manager should do it.

The last nine years have left deep and lasting wounds among a significant section of the Rangers support, who show all the symptoms of fractured confidence. It’s not that having confidence guarantees trophies but it does tend to prevent embarrassing flights of panic and depression .... the sort of anxiety that thinks a manager screaming at his players from the touch line is the solution to any setback. 

Edited by Bill

It was a really disappointing performance, although we did drop points, I am quite happy with the defence, I would say its our strongest area of the team, the area that does worry me is central midfield. We are so light weight and not aggressive enough, hibs went out yesterday to unsettle us, leave a few on our players, in the knowledge they won't be pulled up or booked for it (officiating was part of the problem yesterday). Its so surprising because Gerrard was no shrinking violet as a player, he was all action and really aggressive, and was prone to be a bit nasty. Last week I was looking forward to seeing the likes of Johnson or Zungu sign on and give us some depth, not now, I want two b@stards, aggressive box to box midfielders who will get in teams faces, we are to nice. The job of Davis and Kamara is to drop in to the full back positions when we are attacking, I worry Davis doesn't have the legs to do that week in week out and I don't think that position really suits Kamara either and as injuries start to pile up it will become more of a concern.

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Go back and watch the first goal again. Watch Davis instead of Barišić. He runs for the line and leaves the scorer wide open.

If you still need more persuasion then think about how often we put a cross into the box without scoring. A well positioned defence doesn't need to worry about letting crosses in.

Borna could perhaps have done better but prior to the cross both he and a Hibs player jumped for a ball which they both missed and this resulted in the ball going to the wing where Boyle? was free.  Borna went to cover Boyle and perhaps could have got in a block but I think equally damaging here was that no Rangers picked up the Hibs scorer who had too much space in the box.  As pointed out Davis was close to the goal and Arfield was behind the Hibs scorer, so basically he was not picked up.  In the second Hibs goal you might argue that it all started with a poor ball by Goldson but then Tav had an opportunity to clear the ball but did not and then failed to stop the cross.  I don't think Helander was at fault as the Hibs player had the run in and was jumping off that whereas Helander had a standing jump and this made it difficult to compete with the Hibs scorer.  Overall, our defence did not appear as  solid as usual and wondered if at times because we are so attack minded that when we are playing in a more open game, rather than against a low block, we leave ourselves open to counter attacks.

In other parts of the game I thought we played some nice football but either just lacked that cutting edge or missed chances we should have taken. It was good to see Morelos scoring but I find him a frustrating player as his holdup and layoff play oscillates between being good and dire.  With Roofe injured I don't think I would like him to leave especially since at the moment Itten still seems to be finding his feet.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Borna could perhaps have done better but prior to the cross both he and a Hibs player jumped for a ball which they both missed and this resulted in the ball going to the wing where Boyle? was free.  Borna went to cover Boyle and perhaps could have got in a block but I think equally damaging here was that no Rangers picked up the Hibs scorer who had too much space in the box.  As pointed out Davis was close to the goal and Arfield was behind the Hibs scorer, so basically he was not picked up.

Fault lies with the centre midfielders, either Kamara or Davis had to pick him up. It's schoolboy stuff leaving Doidge wide open, it was the only way they were going to score. 

6 hours ago, DMAA said:

So mentality is a concern again this season. 

On the question of mentality, one of the newspapers just put up an article with the stats for how many times Rangers and Celtic have found a winning goal when they are either losing or drawing going into the last 15 minutes of the games since Gerrard came in. The stats aren't surprising,

Rangers - 8 out of 37 (22%)

Celtic - 15 out of 26 times (57%)

4 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Go back and watch the matches where we dropped points last season.

McDairmid park for example.

Katic falls short in other ways.

He’d a bad game that day although watching the first St Johnstone goal I’m not too sure what Goldson’s doing & Katie gets dragged across.

But not too many others. Defenders must never get bullied the way Helander did at hibs first yesterday