[FT] Hibernian 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 45+1; Arfield 57)

2 hours ago, Dave M609 said:

It was a really disappointing performance, although we did drop points, I am quite happy with the defence, I would say its our strongest area of the team, the area that does worry me is central midfield. We are so light weight and not aggressive enough, hibs went out yesterday to unsettle us, leave a few on our players, in the knowledge they won't be pulled up or booked for it (officiating was part of the problem yesterday). Its so surprising because Gerrard was no shrinking violet as a player, he was all action and really aggressive, and was prone to be a bit nasty. Last week I was looking forward to seeing the likes of Johnson or Zungu sign on and give us some depth, not now, I want two b@stards, aggressive box to box midfielders who will get in teams faces, we are to nice. The job of Davis and Kamara is to drop in to the full back positions when we are attacking, I worry Davis doesn't have the legs to do that week in week out and I don't think that position really suits Kamara either and as injuries start to pile up it will become more of a concern.

Ryan Jack is essential in a well-functioning midfield. Not only does he have the engine that Davis increasingly finds elusive but he's also the most disciplined and positionally-aware defensive midfielder we have. 

2 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

He’d a bad game that day although watching the first St Johnstone goal I’m not too sure what Goldson’s doing & Katic gets dragged across.

But not too many others. Defenders must never get bullied the way Helander did at hibs first yesterday 

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Ryan Jack is essential in a well-functioning midfield. Not only does he have the engine that Davis increasingly finds elusive but he's also the most disciplined and positionally-aware defensive midfielder we have. 

Agreed Bill, Jack seems to be out for prolonged periods every year as well, we definitely need more options in there

19 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

Agreed Bill, Jack seems to be out for prolonged periods every year as well, we definitely need more options in there

Yes we do. It’s the main priority and I think two top midfielders are needed.  We probably need the Morelos money if we’re to really improve this team. 

10 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Is this how football fans see football?

the team is under-performing, i need to start screaming 

Laughable really. I suppose that is what many fans do at matches or when watching on television. I just don't know why anyone imagines that a manager should do it.

I don’t know what your point is. Are you imagining that it doesn’t happen?? Having recovered from being a goal behind, and in front, he should be reminding the players to keep their shape, stay focused, concentrate,  you see it all the time. They needed that instruction yelled at them, since they were not able to think it for themselves, or god forbid we had a captain or two to keep them straight.  Your post is belittling as well as baffling. 

Edited by weebluedevil

8 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I don’t know what your point is. Are you imagining that it doesn’t happen?? Having recovered from being a goal behind, and in front, he should be reminding the players to keep their shape, stay focused, concentrate,  you see it all the time. They needed that instruction yelled at them, since they were not able to think it for themselves, or god forbid we had a captain or two to keep them straight.  Your post is belittling as well as baffling. 

I'm sorry if my point isn't obvious. Rather than leave anybody baffled I'm happy to explore the painful details.

I don't think that the players need to be reminded to focus. Most of these players have worked with the coaching team for two seasons now. If the management don't scream obvious points at the players then it is because the players are trusted.

The team doesn't lack leadership on the pitch either. For example anyone can see that Goldson is always talking to the players around him. I've often noticed Arfield do this too. For Tavernier, and Davis, it is less obvious to the supporters but when players talk about them it's clear that both do lead.

It's funny that you mention captains as this is another common opinion that I have very little respect for. If you wanted to score a hat-trick then you could have added that we need a hardman in midfield to hand out retributive kickings to our opponents. 

I don’t know how old you are RS, but perhaps you should watch (again?) a few games during the Walter Smith era. He was there at the side instructing, demanding, reminding...yet we had a team  full of winners and captains, so your point doesn’t really stand up.  And no I don’t subscribe to needing ‘hard men’  in midfield, not that it’s relevant to this point. 

After a few days and reading "quite a rant" by Stevie_4lads-blog regarding Tavernier and Goldson as well as the DM tactics ... and while we sure have every right to question what goes on ...

... we do lament on a rather high level. 2 away draws at difficult venues and 6 wins is by no means sub-standard.

The 2 central midfielders were required to bolster our defensive setup, as Barasic and Tav ventured forward as they are "meant to be" (and did quite admirably in the last few games). Hibs were playing more open and attack-minded (credit to them, BTW, which is usually quickly overlooked) and in the end it boils down to our "attacking department" not producing where it mattered. If some individual errors cost you points or even game, one probably also has to look at what is normal, for if "errors" ain't happen or "class beats normality", games would see no goals conceded or scored. Hibs had a couple of decent efforts, we should have scored 3 or 4 more. At the end of the day, it remains a game and the above aside, chance and luck play their part too, sometimes clad in Specsavers' black.

We have a tendency to single out certain players, Sunday it was Goldson, Tavernier and Kamara, sometimes with the feel that they need replaced by yesterday, no matter how well e.g. Kamara performed in his previous 2 games et al. A fickle bunch we are, aren't we?!

As I pointed out on various occasions, we seem to are stubbornly resistant to change line-ups and tactics in accordance with the team we play or how games are working out, playing 4-2-3-1 against the brickwall- as well as the more open sides, usually with the same people. Imagine  the "surprise" if we decide to play with two strikers! it may freak the living shyte out of opponents when reading that team selection ... but somehow, after watching us play "modern" football for the best part of 2 to 3 years, I harbour my doubts that it will yield us much joy for some time to come. We tinkered now with various players for that system, instead of trying what we have - no doubt enough quality for most if not all Premiership opponents - in a different way.

Edited by der Berliner

3 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I don’t know how old you are RS, but perhaps you should watch (again?) a few games during the Walter Smith era. He was there at the side instructing, demanding, reminding...yet we had a team  full of winners and captains, so your point doesn’t really stand up.  ...

I regret to inform you that I am old enough. Of course I'm also aware that he wasn't always at the side of the pitch.

Football has moved on though. The support need to accept that.