Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

8 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Well done Millwall fans for showing the elites that football fans have had enough of the virtue signalling nonsense of BLM. 

Does every cricket or rugby game have the same show of bending a knee?  Why on earth are the football authorities continuing with this ridiculous show of wokeness for something that happened in America.

Time to pressure them into stopping at every opportunity, though difficult when they control the MSM.   

It's one thing to disagree with the politics that have attached themselves to BLM; it's another to vociferously object to your own players making what they see as a non-poiitical gesture (no matter how ineffectual) right before kick off. If we were allowed into Ibrox this season is there a fan amongst us who could overlook all the joy that Tav, Goldson, Aribo, Bassey et al have given us and boo them? I hope not.

Taking the knee has to stop eventually, and It's right that BLM should be questioned - sensibly, calmly and in a reasoned way. Well thought-out posts like Bill's and stewarty's add good points to the debate. Haranguing football players, either verbally at a match or on social media, just exacerbates the issue and turns the debate into a slagging match.

Edited by Thinker

If fans wish to boo then there's nothing people can do about it I dont think it's a criminal offence yet and its still a free country. 

Do the owners and directors take the knee it would be interesting to put the cameras on them during the knee bending. 

3 hours ago, Thinker said:

Haranguing football players, either verbally at a match or on social media, just exacerbates the issue and turns the debate into a slagging match.

Although I agree, to an extent - what would you advise as an alternative course of action for football spectators who disapprove of the continuing gesture?  

Write to the FA?  Write to Millwall FC? 

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Although I agree, to an extent - what would you advise as an alternative course of action for football spectators who disapprove of the continuing gesture?  

Write to the FA?  Write to Millwall FC? 

In any case, I it would be deliberately naive to think Millwall fans were booing their players. We all know they were booing the kneeling to endorse BLM.

4 hours ago, Thinker said:

It's one thing to disagree with the politics that have attached themselves to BLM; it's another to vociferously object to your own players making what they see as a non-poiitical gesture (no matter how ineffectual) right before kick off. If we were allowed into Ibrox this season is there a fan amongst us who could overlook all the joy that Tav, Goldson, Aribo, Bassey et al have given us and boo them? I hope not.

Taking the knee has to stop eventually, and It's right that BLM should be questioned - sensibly, calmly and in a reasoned way. Well thought-out posts like Bill's and stewarty's add good points to the debate. Haranguing football players, either verbally at a match or on social media, just exacerbates the issue and turns the debate into a slagging match.

They were not booing the players for being black or black people in general, its the fake symbolism without any challenge and the wider aims that BLM represent. Most of the players don't even know anything about why they are doing it, and this whole conformity of the mindless who challenge nothing must stop as it has in other sports. 

This is not about the black players and nobody has made it so until your post. 

Think about why they are continuing to do this in football and why should people in the stand who have paid to just watch a football match without any of the overt political messaging and grandstanding that is going on, again with only minimal challenge about BLM complete agenda. 

2 hours ago, compo said:

If fans wish to boo then there's nothing people can do about it I dont think it's a criminal offence yet and its still a free country. 

Do the owners and directors take the knee it would be interesting to put the cameras on them during the knee bending. 

It's hardly free Compo, they will try to identify those people and they will take action, as they associate any dissent with racism, even if that was not the intention.  

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

In any case, I it would be deliberately naive to think Millwall fans were booing their players. We all know they were booing the kneeling to endorse BLM.

Exactly, the same at Colchester and West Ham. It is naive to think they were booing the players.

How else are working class people to show their dissent? If you don't want them to then don't bring this virtue signalling to football matches. Keep sport clear of religion, politics and even protest unless it's football related and about the club. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

They were not booing the players for being black or black people in general, its the fake symbolism without any challenge and the wider aims that BLM represent. Most of the players don't even know anything about why they are doing it, and this whole conformity of the mindless who challenge nothing must stop as it has in other sports. 

This is not about the black players and nobody has made it so until your post. 

Think about why they are continuing to do this in football and why should people in the stand who have paid to just watch a football match without any of the overt political messaging and grandstanding that is going on, again with only minimal challenge about BLM complete agenda. 

No I'm not making this about black players. I'm making it about players who notably and publicly support what they (possibly naively) see as a straight-forward campaign against racism. It seems to me that they genuinely feel strongly about the issue, and I have no reason to doubt that the the guys I mentioned above have experienced racism at some point in their lives.

I don't think the point of disagreement here is the point the players are actually trying to make. It's reasonable to object to the puerile "smash the state", "defund the police" Communist/Anarchist stuff that you might see on a poster in a student hall window - but I'm certain the players don't believe they're promoting that. The point they're trying to make is simply "down with racism". As I said, you may think they have a simplistic view of things, but there's nothing bad in their intentions - which is surely what you should base any decision to take offence at something on.

Is booing just before your team kick off likely to hasten the end of taking the knee, do you think? More importantly (to me at least) is it likely to have a positive or negative influence on the match, the morale of the players, or the reputation of the club?

Edited by Thinker

12 minutes ago, Thinker said:

It seems to me that they genuinely feel strongly about the issue

With something so regimented, it's difficult to tell.  Do you think John Terry genuinely feels strongly about it?

13 minutes ago, Thinker said:

there's nothing bad in their intentions - which is surely what you should base any decision to take offence at something on

Just the intention?  The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

7 hours ago, Thinker said:

It's one thing to disagree with the politics that have attached themselves to BLM

I would merely argue that it's BLM that has attached itself to the anti discrimination movement, primarily by asserting discrimination that largely does not exist in any practical sense. BLM is a political movement hiding behind the laudable notion of eliminating unnecessary discrimination. And isn't it doing well on the PR front.