Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

2 hours ago, Thinker said:

Really? It seems far more likely to me that the club involved will be forced to make a red-faced apology (as Millwall were), the supporters will be villified, and the resultant message will be a declaration of how important it is not to bend to this sort of thing.

Wait and see. This bullying will only stretch so far.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Are you saying that black people do not suffer discrimination?  

Why would you think I said anything of the sort? People with red hair suffer discrimination, people with no hair suffer discrimination. People with no legs suffer discrimination. People suffer discrimination because they're English. All sorts of people suffer discrimination. Are we kneeling for them all? Should we make a list?

25 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

so it will stop when those players, led by Goldson and Tav. think that it has served its purpose

You want rich footballers to dictate what gestures are appropriate (at a football match) to football fans, many of whom are on low incomes?

Bit snobbish.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is this about the GB picking on Lennon?  ?

That's it. Only this time knees are out. We have to lie down, roll around and grunt.

Edited by Bill

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Wait and see. This bullying will only stretch so far.

Well, players can't keep taking the knee forever, that's for sure. But shouting our own players down - particularly those who genuinely care about the issue of racism - could clearly have a negative impact on their performance, our results, and potentially the destination of the title.

And, just to reiterate, I genuinely don't believe the players intentions are controversial - they're being miscontrued. Connor Goldson (for example) is clearly not a communist or an anarchist. He's just a guy from humble beginnings who experienced racism first-hand on the way up, and is now attempting to use his celebrity to raise awareness of the issue. The disagreement here isn't that Goldson supports mad leftist policies that you find objectionable, it's merely that Goldson doesn't attach the same meaning to taking the knee that you do. It's a trivial, semiotic issue not worth upsetting anyone over. I don't think for a second you believe he's a bad guy, so why would you be okay with the idea of booing him?

By all means, oppose and counter the people who actually hold the half-baked revolutionary ideas you object to. That's not the players though.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Why would you think I said anything of the sort? People with red hair suffer discrimination, people with no hair suffer discrimination. People with no legs suffer discrimination. People suffer discrimination because they're English. All sorts of people suffer discrimination. Are we kneeling for them all? Should we make a list?

The type of discrimination BLM are talking about is systemic racism. I haven't seen too many bald people stopped and searched or beaten senseless by the cops. And we don't end institutional racism by individual action or by futilely  featuring a few more black people on tv ads.

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Don't see what incomes have to do with it. The racism problem is systemic.

What systematic racism is the taking the knee gesture actually fixing?

In my opinion (and I'm not alone), identity politics increases racial division.  

6 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I haven't seen too many bald people stopped and searched or beaten senseless by the cops

From BBC:

Over the past 10 years, 164 people have died in or following police custody in England and Wales, according to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) - the body responsible for police complaints.

Death in custody is the term for anybody who dies while in the custody of the state - this could include while being detained by a police officer or while being held as a prisoner in a police station.

Of the deaths in the last 10 years:

141 were white

13 were black

10 were from other minority ethnic groups