Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

What systematic racism is the taking the knee gesture actually fixing?

In my opinion (and I'm not alone), identity politics increases racial division.  

I agree about the negative side of ID politics - the idea that we only have to be more inclusive and have more positive discrimination which is totally reactionary. To your first point I just think that high profile publicity may cause people to think. But the gestures will have to stop at some point I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

From BBC:

Over the past 10 years, 164 people have died in or following police custody in England and Wales, according to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) - the body responsible for police complaints.

Death in custody is the term for anybody who dies while in the custody of the state - this could include while being detained by a police officer or while being held as a prisoner in a police station.

Of the deaths in the last 10 years:

141 were white

13 were black

10 were from other minority ethnic groups

The BBC? Your go-to source for all that's bad in 'wokiness' is it??

And talking of gestures, many corporations have embraced this anti-racism movement (Ben and Jerry for one). The CEO of JP Morgan took the knee with his staff. Yet his organisation were complicit in the sub-prime mortgages scandal when BAME customers were disproportionately affected and then foreclosed on them after the 2008 crisis. So that's the trouble with gesture politics.

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

The BBC? Your go-to source for all that's bad in 'wokiness' is it??

It came up first on a Google search - simple as that.  

Police brutality or negligence aren't restricted to certain races.

So, I see Millwall players have now abandoned taking the knee entirely. Does that make them all racists now? Of course it doesn't.

I predict these clubs and the football authorities will knock this nonsense on the head now. Mainly because the TV companies will not risk broadcasting booing during their routine virtue signalling exhibition.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Why would you think I said anything of the sort? People with red hair suffer discrimination, people with no hair suffer discrimination. People with no legs suffer discrimination. People suffer discrimination because they're English. All sorts of people suffer discrimination. Are we kneeling for them all? Should we make a list?

I’m still none the wiser what you meant though.  Because it read like that’s what you were suggesting.  

16 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I’m still none the wiser what you meant though.  Because it read like that’s what you were suggesting.  

What you read it like is for you alone to decide. I don't think I was ambiguous. Anyway I'm sure you're able to discriminate my meaning from your interpretation. ?