SPFL: Contingency for incomplete season to be discussed by all 42 clubs

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

we could argue the benchmark is 10 games to go with two teams having that many left when the leagues were called last year. or 72 percent which would allow the top league to be called with 11 games to go. 

You could also argue that calling the league after matchday 22 would be legitimate; every team having played every other team home and away once (like they do in proper foootball leagues...)

1 hour ago, Bill said:

There’s no need for the league not to be completed. None at all. 

Indeed. It is about players and staff being responsible and professional. If they don't, authorities might decide what to do with such teams and/or players. Well, in a normal country ...

CLUB STATEMENT

St Mirren chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick has written to his Motherwell counterpart Alan Burrows to complain about unacceptable statements by Fir Park coach Maurice Ross during a BBC Radio Scotland broadcast in which Ross cast doubt on the reasons for St Mirren seeking the COVID-related cancellation of Saturday’s scheduled clash between the two clubs. 

The text of Tony’s letter reads: 

"I am writing to express my disappointment at the comments of Maurice Ross on the above Podcast following the postponement of the fixture between our respective clubs on Saturday 17 October. 

"In particular I deprecate any suggestion that we or any other football club would take advantage of this pandemic for personal gain.  Any notion that we have been “opportunistic” in seeking to discharge our public health responsibilities is a fallacy.  I cannot fathom why Mr Ross would seek to publicly call into question the integrity of a fellow SPFL member club for adhering to the agreed protocols which are in place to protect players, officials and clubs. 

"As we, and all football clubs in Scotland, try to navigate our way through these difficult times the comments of Mr Ross are both unfortunate and unhelpful. 

"With respect I would suggest Mr Ross might want to reflect on the comments which he broadcast to the nation and I am sure he will support your fellow clubs in being hyper vigilant as we work together to tackle this virus.  I would be grateful if he could avoid such derisory language in future." 

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3799-club-statement-9

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

CLUB STATEMENT

St Mirren chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick has written to his Motherwell counterpart Alan Burrows to complain about unacceptable statements by Fir Park coach Maurice Ross during a BBC Radio Scotland broadcast in which Ross cast doubt on the reasons for St Mirren seeking the COVID-related cancellation of Saturday’s scheduled clash between the two clubs. 

The text of Tony’s letter reads: 

"I am writing to express my disappointment at the comments of Maurice Ross on the above Podcast following the postponement of the fixture between our respective clubs on Saturday 17 October. 

"In particular I deprecate any suggestion that we or any other football club would take advantage of this pandemic for personal gain.  Any notion that we have been “opportunistic” in seeking to discharge our public health responsibilities is a fallacy.  I cannot fathom why Mr Ross would seek to publicly call into question the integrity of a fellow SPFL member club for adhering to the agreed protocols which are in place to protect players, officials and clubs. 

"As we, and all football clubs in Scotland, try to navigate our way through these difficult times the comments of Mr Ross are both unfortunate and unhelpful. 

"With respect I would suggest Mr Ross might want to reflect on the comments which he broadcast to the nation and I am sure he will support your fellow clubs in being hyper vigilant as we work together to tackle this virus.  I would be grateful if he could avoid such derisory language in future." 

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3799-club-statement-9

It's like an ant and a flea arguing under a stone at the far end of the garden - hard to give a shit about.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Why?

Because politicians make decisions usually for political reasons. 

Because public opinion might turn on highly remunerated footballers if examples of poor behaviour are reported while large parts of the country are locked down.

Because already several clubs in Scotland have been unable to keep their players and staff in a secure bubble while infection rates are quite low and the weather was ok.

Because part time teams in particular will find secure bubbles almost impossible to maintain as players have other jobs. 

Because clubs might find it hard to fulfil fixtures.

Because it seems likely that infection rates, hospital admissions and deaths will rise in the coming weeks and a full lockdown might be imposed at some point. 

Because it might suit some clubs.