SPFL: Contingency for incomplete season to be discussed by all 42 clubs

On 21/10/2020 at 04:41, JohnMc said:

Because politicians make decisions usually for political reasons. 

Because public opinion might turn on highly remunerated footballers if examples of poor behaviour are reported while large parts of the country are locked down.

Because already several clubs in Scotland have been unable to keep their players and staff in a secure bubble while infection rates are quite low and the weather was ok.

Because part time teams in particular will find secure bubbles almost impossible to maintain as players have other jobs. 

Because clubs might find it hard to fulfil fixtures.

Because it seems likely that infection rates, hospital admissions and deaths will rise in the coming weeks and a full lockdown might be imposed at some point. 

Because it might suit some clubs. 

You mean like the backlog of fixtures faced by Scotland's representative in the Europa league cup final in 2008?
Now what would happen if some clubs could not accommodate the exigencies of league re-scheduling because they, say St. Mirren or Alloa, had previously booked a tour of Japan for their club?

There again, I could ask you if you can see the buttons on the back of my head.

21 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Q1 I'm suspicious of giving the SPFL board "broad powers" as that is open to interpretation and abuse.

Q2 a reasonable question on what should be done on unfulfilled fixtures. The 3-0 idea is lifted from current UEFA rules and I don't think it is relevant for the present situation. More discussion is needed on this. Unless the games affect Rangers and Celtic it should not be too difficult to rearrange later on. Problem lies if it's really late in the season. Wiser heads than mine need to come up with a solution.

Q3 - Q6 To avoid the fiasco of last season, a decision is needed sooner, rather than later, on what should be done in the event of the league being halted. To set the rules now will avoid any accusation of bias and of clubs at the top and bottom arguing for a policy that only suits them.

The simplest, and probably fairest, solution would be have a policy to extend the season to complete the league as happened last season for most european leagues.

21 hours ago, Yorkie Bear said:

Q1 I'm suspicious of giving the SPFL board "broad powers" as that is open to interpretation and abuse.

Q2 a reasonable question on what should be done on unfulfilled fixtures. The 3-0 idea is lifted from current UEFA rules and I don't think it is relevant for the present situation. More discussion is needed on this. Unless the games affect Rangers and Celtic it should not be too difficult to rearrange later on. Problem lies if it's really late in the season. Wiser heads than mine need to come up with a solution.

Q3 - Q6 To avoid the fiasco of last season, a decision is needed sooner, rather than later, on what should be done in the event of the league being halted. To set the rules now will avoid any accusation of bias and of clubs at the top and bottom arguing for a policy that only suits them.

The simplest, and probably fairest, solution would be have a policy to extend the season to complete the league as happened last season for most european leagues.

They won't be able to as UEFA won't postpone the Euro's again.

2 hours ago, craig said:

They won't be able to as UEFA won't postpone the Euro's again.

Fair point. At the moment, it's unlikely that any lockdown will stop domestic competitions. It's not in Europe at the moment, even in France that has stringent lockdown rules. So it seems that the SPFL will continue but there could be a fixture pile up. The SPFL should be clearing these as soon as possible. UEFA seem more relaxed on the position of playing domestic games on European nights, so the SPFL should be rearranging cancelled games for midweek on any games on including Rangers and Celtic. If UEFA dont allow this the SPFL could have games Friday & Monday. It could be a bit tricky fitting in with Rangers and Celtic games being played on Sunday but I am sure that some postponed games could be rearranged before the end of the year. The problem may occur if games are still being postponed late in the season, when they may run out of time.

The SPFL need to set down clearly what will happen in the various scenarios. They need to do this soon so that everyone is clear and we have no shenanigans like last season.

29 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

The SPFL need to set down clearly what will happen in the various scenarios. They need to do this soon so that everyone is clear and we have no shenanigans like last season.

I completely agree but would urge you not to hold your breath.

To be fair the SPFL can't, that's what this is about. They asked the clubs to give the board powers to make decisions and the clubs refused. Now they're sort of asking again or at least asking what the clubs would support. Far be it for me to defend the SPFL but they're not able to give any guidance on what will happen as the member clubs won't let them. This should have been sorted in the summer, but seeing as they made such a cock-up of ending last season and 3 member clubs were still suing them days before this season started I guess they decided to leave it for a few months... 

Scottish football is so riven with self-interest that finding any type of consensus is a challenge.  Add that to it being appallingly run then I suspect we're in for more inept leadership and appeasement of the power-block created by our east-end city neighbours. 

I suspect something will need to happen as member clubs are clearly in difficulties. Dundee Utd (no laughing at the back!) look to be in serious bother if their American backer chooses to pull the plug to try and protect his investment. But clubs like Peterhead are now making redundancies as their pay-per-view attempts have not proved popular. I feel sorry for some of the smaller clubs, many of who welcomed us when others didn't. Dundee Utd going out of business would be amusing though. 

18 hours ago, JohnMc said:

To be fair the SPFL can't, that's what this is about. They asked the clubs to give the board powers to make decisions and the clubs refused. Now they're sort of asking again or at least asking what the clubs would support. Far be it for me to defend the SPFL but they're not able to give any guidance on what will happen as the member clubs won't let them. This should have been sorted in the summer, but seeing as they made such a cock-up of ending last season and 3 member clubs were still suing them days before this season started I guess they decided to leave it for a few months... 

Scottish football is so riven with self-interest that finding any type of consensus is a challenge.  Add that to it being appallingly run then I suspect we're in for more inept leadership and appeasement of the power-block created by our east-end city neighbours. 

I suspect something will need to happen as member clubs are clearly in difficulties. Dundee Utd (no laughing at the back!) look to be in serious bother if their American backer chooses to pull the plug to try and protect his investment. But clubs like Peterhead are now making redundancies as their pay-per-view attempts have not proved popular. I feel sorry for some of the smaller clubs, many of who welcomed us when others didn't. Dundee Utd going out of business would be amusing though. 

Dundee United going out of business is a party streamer and balloon event. Street parties, a 100 gun salute by the Royal Horse Artillery, a Spitfire fly pass, burning effigies of Jum Spence, celebratory whiskies, celebratory pieces of porcelain commissioned, Kirk bells ringing, ...................... and a mass gathering of Bears outside PQ to blow a Guinness world record breaking raspberry at the Cnut, James Cook.

I am indebted to Sgt Maj' Tam O'Hara for my reasonable response. A leither, born'n'bred Hibby to his tippy toes, he instructed me 40 years past that a bayonetting should only be followed by an attempt to shag said wound, if you were intent on showing disapproval. Gersnetters, keep your bayonets sheaved amid the salivating flowing anticipation.

On 30/10/2020 at 16:19, Yorkie Bear said:

Should be fairly simple for an honest group! their problem is they make rules up as they go along and have to decide which way it suits Separate Entity FC! corrupt to the core!!, I expect more underhand twists to come, especially if it looks like Rangers are going to win the league.

11 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Should be fairly simple for an honest group! their problem is they make rules up as they go along and have to decide which way it suits Separate Entity FC! corrupt to the core!!, I expect more underhand twists to come, especially if it looks like Rangers are going to win the league.

Don't be surprised if Sturgeon doesn't announce a full lockdown on Monday and as she always wants to go one better than Boris she might shut down football as well then we will see what the SPFL and their masters do .

4 minutes ago, compo said:

Don't be surprised if Sturgeon doesn't announce a full lockdown on Monday and as she always wants to go one better than Boris she might shut down football as well then we will see what the SPFL and their masters do .

Oh! nothing surprises me anymore what this cabal will do