SPFL: Contingency for incomplete season to be discussed by all 42 clubs

22 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Dundee United going out of business is a party streamer and balloon event. Street parties, a 100 gun salute by the Royal Horse Artillery, a Spitfire fly pass, burning effigies of Jum Spence, celebratory whiskies, celebratory pieces of porcelain commissioned, Kirk bells ringing, ...................... and a mass gathering of Bears outside PQ to blow a Guinness world record breaking raspberry at the Cnut, James Cook.

I am indebted to Sgt Maj' Tam O'Hara for my reasonable response. A leither, born'n'bred Hibby to his tippy toes, he instructed me 40 years past that a bayonetting should only be followed by an attempt to shag said wound, if you were intent on showing disapproval. Gersnetters, keep your bayonets sheaved amid the salivating flowing anticipation.

A fair and considered response and good advice. My formative years were spent trying to avoid advance parties of the Milton Tongs an organisation with a similar philosophy to your Sgt Major, as such I came to rely on my wits, my eyesight and my ability to run, so when rare opportunities to take advantage did arise I made the most of them. Old habits and all that. 

SPFL ANNOUNCES LATEST CLUB CONSULTATION RESPONSES

THE SPFL HAS COMPLETED ITS LATEST CONSULTATION EXERCISE WITH ALL 42 MEMBER CLUBS

The SPFL has completed its latest consultation exercise with all 42 member clubs, gauging views on a range of issues related to Covid-19 and their possible effects during the current season.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “Like everyone in the game, the board is keen to avoid the division and dispute caused when Scottish Government restrictions prompted by Covid-19 forced the curtailment of last season.

“In light of the fast-changing nature of coronavirus restrictions, the board is seeking to ensure that the game is as well-prepared as it can be for any eventuality and the League is consulting regularly with all 42 member clubs.

“We have already carried out one such consultation exercise this season and the second, which we have just completed, is unlikely to be the last. In the interests of transparency, we expect that we’ll continue to monitor and publish the collective views of clubs as the season develops.”

Club responses included the following:

- 20 clubs agreed that they would be content to give the SPFL Board at this stage in the season power to curtail the season (on a points per game basis) if a particular threshold of matches had been played by the date of curtailment;

- 17 clubs agreed that they would be content to give the SPFL Board the power now to void the season if an insufficient number of matches had been played by the date of curtailment;

- 12 clubs were in favour of the SPFL Board being granted broad powers to manage further Covid-19 related disruption to the season. A number of other clubs were undecided on the issue, with some suggesting that they may reconsider later in the season;

- only four clubs were in favour of the SPFL Board being given the power to impose a 3-0 defeat on any club not fulfilling a fixture. A number of clubs expressed the view that the existing system, which gives the Board power to allow or refuse individual League Match postponements and to investigate the circumstances, which may result in disciplinary proceedings being commenced, allows “due process” to be followed before any sanction is imposed;

- a wide range of views were expressed as to how many fixtures should be completed for a valid season to be deemed to have been completed, in the event of early curtailment; and

- 19 clubs felt that it was “too early to take decisions now” and that decisions on any Covid-19 related disruption should be considered later in the season.

Neil Doncaster said: “We are grateful to all those clubs who responded to the questionnaire. It is very clear from the responses that there is no consensus, let alone the necessary majorities, for any decision to be taken now about how we might draw this season to a close if it becomes impracticable to complete all fixtures as a result of Covid 19 disruption.

The board continues to seek to complete every scheduled League fixture on its scheduled date, except where necessarily dislocated by cup matches, and welcomes the Scottish FA board decision to have no replays in Scottish Cup matches during the current season.

“Encouragingly, the Scottish Government’s Covid-19 Strategic Framework underlines that professional football will continue to be permitted, even under Tier 4 restrictions, giving us the best possible chance of completing the season, and that remains our over-riding focus.”

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-latest-club-consultation-response

When they say XX clubs were in favour, they dont say if the rest were opposed or had no view

Neil Doncaster said: “We are grateful to all those clubs who responded to the questionnaire. It is very clear from the responses that there is no consensus, let alone the necessary majorities, for any decision to be taken now about how we might draw this season to a close if it becomes impracticable to complete all fixtures as a result of Covid 19 disruption.

This is Scotland, the land of clans. Clans who first and foremost look after themselves and if it suits their cause will lump in with others (for a time, i.e. as long as it serves their self interest), not least when it is about money (even short-sighted money grabbing excercises). To expect even 10 of them reach a consensus is stretching it. 42 is downright idiocy and a pure time wasting. Then again, the latter is exactly what happened during the vote stuff earlier this year, offering a few snacks to to the gullible along the way (reconstruction, anyone?). If there is one thing that may come of this, it might be that the SPFL/SFA high-ones (are they not essentially the same people?) decide that "democracy" isn't the way forward and thus they hand themselves powers to do it on their own. People may argue that this is not possible, but ever since 2012 and even a few months back. we have seen that "being beyond imagination" isn't something said high-ones are limited by.

BTW, exchange clan with club at your leisure.

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

The SPFL faces a £500,000 bill from Sky Sports for any games that aren't played if the season is cut short. (Daily Mail, print edition)

Obviously this is the deal the assholes in charge agreed too when cutting the season short last time around.