Liverpool and Manchester United in talks to join European Premier League

5 minutes ago, Thinker said:

I expect even the "European" aspect of it would be negotiable if it became lucrative to have a team from say, New York or Dubai, take part.

That's bound to come. Exclusion isn't for the mega rich. 

This is really a franchise system is it not? Something like the US models. Now isn't it odd that in the land of dog-eat-dog capitalism they would be against wee teams working their way up via natural promotion and relegation while we in social democratic Europe still cling to ideas of the romantic?

50 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

WTF would we want Sellick in the EPL, they don't like anything to do with the UK so can stay where they are. 

There are some English fans who are oblivious to what Sellick really are about. 

Would love to see Rangers in the EPL/EFL anyday, and I had hoped it would have happened when we were stitched up by the SPL and individual clubs. That other lot must laugh when they hear clowns like this. 

I would love to see Rangers in a re-formatted British League too, especially when Wales can have teams in the English Leagues. Eufa might have to re-appraise their antipathy to cross-border leagues as any new franchise system would make a nonsense of that.

11 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I would love to see Rangers in a re-formatted British League too, especially when Wales can have teams in the English Leagues. Eufa might have to re-appraise their antipathy to cross-border leagues as any new franchise system would make a nonsense of that.

I'm also sure that if by any chance the flag wavers achieve any sort of independence any future SG would do whatever they could to make it hard for Rangers to leave. The Wales/England model works and is accepted if the clubs give up any rights over European competition in their respective nation and only qualify through their chosen league, as per Swansea and Cardiff. The model could easily work and would be easier if any move was made BEFORE the likelihood of any independence.

Just think how much extra money Rangers would get in either the Championship and hopefully EPL, though it would be a nightmare for me for two games each season :) 

Hypothetical I know on both counts, but its fun to speculate. 

4 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I'm also sure that if by any chance the flag wavers achieve any sort of independence any future SG would do whatever they could to make it hard for Rangers to leave. The Wales/England model works and is accepted if the clubs give up any rights over European competition in their respective nation and only qualify through their chosen league, as per Swansea and Cardiff. The model could easily work and would be easier if any move was made BEFORE the likelihood of any independence.

Just think how much extra money Rangers would get in either the Championship and hopefully EPL, though it would be a nightmare for me for two games each season :) 

Hypothetical I know on both counts, but its fun to speculate. 

Yes I didn't even think about opening the can of worms that indy could cause. Thought for minute Steven Gerrard (SG) would stop it!

21 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

This is really a franchise system is it not? Something like the US models. Now isn't it odd that in the land of dog-eat-dog capitalism they would be against wee teams working their way up via natural promotion and relegation while we in social democratic Europe still cling to ideas of the romantic?

They are both owned by Americans (Fenway and the Glaziers) more used to a franchise system. I'm not sure what route/access they have to people like Abramovitch, or Joe Lewis at Spurs, but would probably be backed by Stan Kroenke at Arsenal another franchisee in the US.  No idea what UAE backed City would do.

The more I reflect on it, the more I'm inclined to believe that it would actually be for the best if the likes of Man U, Bayern and Juve etc. fucked off out of the Champions/Europa Leagues. If they did, UEFA wouldn't have to kowtow to their unreasonable, money-grabbing demands and the whole thing could be made more of a level playing field.

We could have a tighter, 4 group, Champions only Champions league (Imagine that!) And if the winners of Serie A or La Liga decline the offer to take part, that's fine - the champions of some other nation would be happy to take their spot.

Similarly with the Europa League - we could have 3 teams per nation across the board and less pauchling of the qualification process. Again, if Barca, Inter or Man U don't want to particpate, all well and good -pass the place down their table to whoever's next in line (I'd much prefer to watch Villareal, Fiorentina or Everton).

Edited by Thinker

1 hour ago, Thinker said:

The more I reflect on it, the more I'm inclined to believe that it would actually be for the best if the likes of Man U, Bayern and Juve etc. fucked off out of the Champions/Europa Leagues. If they did, UEFA wouldn't have to kowtow to their unreasonable, money-grabbing demands and the whole thing could be made more of a level playing field.

We could have a tighter, 4 group, Champions only Champions league (Imagine that!) And if the winners of Serie A or La Liga decline the offer to take part, that's fine - the champions of some other nation would be happy to take their spot.

Similarly with the Europa League - we could have 3 teams per nation across the board and less pauchling of the qualification process. Again, if Barca, Inter or Man U don't want to particpate, all well and good -pass the place down their table to whoever's next in line (I'd much prefer to watch Villareal, Fiorentina or Everton).

The central issue is money - where it comes from, how much there is, who shares it. If a European Superleague ever came to pass then the Champions league would very quickly become a second tier affair with greatly reduced funding. Major sponsors and TV companies would fall over themselves to engage with the new body and the lion's share of football money would be beyond reach.

2 hours ago, Thinker said:

Think you are in the minority there Thinker judging by some of the viewing figures i've seen from BT Sport. The figures for some games are tiny compared to say if one of the bigger teams from the 4 leagues are playing. 

I think BT and possibly Sky would drop the competitions as they eye global reseller deals on the new comp if all they had to offer was Everton v BATE  or Leicester v Leipzig in the CL or Europa.  

Edited by ChelseaBoy
edit

On 20/10/2020 at 17:46, Bill said:

This might impress the big sponsors and media companies but it might finally alienate football fans. 

20 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

It will die on it's arse, as we have seen quite clearly over the last few months, without fans football is shite. No self respecting fan would want to see this and fans groups would be on the warpath.

Most fans in the United Kingdom would be alienated. 

Sadly that doesn't matter much.

The size of the worldwide audience would make it irrelevant.