[FT] Standard Liege 0 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 19 pen; Roofe 90+3)

Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde performance.

Some good stuff, followed by some poor stuff and we can perhaps count ourselves lucky to be in the lead.

OK, we've taken that lead but I think we're sitting just a bit too deep at times and not moving the ball quick enough when we do win it back.  For the most part though, our shape is good and we do look capable when we get in around their box which is why I'd like to see us apply a bit more pressure.  And, crucially, not overplay when in good positions.

A big second half ahead.

It was a good controlled start from us.

Once we scored, I don't know if we let them have the ball or they came on to us, but we had less of it.

Couple of scary moments, but for the most part ok.

No real chances, but a couple of 'openings' that we didn't make the most of - Morelos passing up a shot from a good move was the best example.

1 minute ago, bluedan said:

The treatment he was getting I thought maybe a dead leg. Surprised when he went off. 

Aye, was certainly around the top of his thigh and the way he walked off suggested it wasn't some sort of pull.  Bassey did very well when he came on and he'll have to stay switched on for the second half as they certainly like to use width.

Looked like a thigh muscle injury for Borna. Bassey has done well already.

We need to keep possession better, last 10 mins we were very slack and we are lucky to go in ahead. The chance we allowed 3 mins into injury time when we had a free kick at half way line 2.30 into injury time was amateur stuff and very unlike us.

Absolutely delighted with a lead at HT against a very good opponent. For 30 mins we were very good, negated their threats and looked threatening ourselves. Don’t know what changed but it’s only a matter of time before we concede unless we can get a grip of the midfield again and keep possession much better again.

Just now, Rousseau said:

No real chances, but a couple of 'openings' that we didn't make the most of - Morelos passing up a shot from a good move was the best example.

Not sure what he was thinking of there but his first touch wasn't good which probably made his mind up to pass instead of get a shot away.  Instead of getting into onto his right, he sorted of knocked it to the left and behind himself.

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

Not sure what he was thinking of there but his first touch wasn't good which probably made his mind up to pass instead of get a shot away.  Instead of getting into onto his right, he sorted of knocked it to the left and behind himself.

I hope he doesn’t get the full 90. He just isn’t contributing, I’ve lost count of the number of times he’s given it away. 

Decent performance so far when you factor in the quality of the opposition. They have a brilliant home record in Europe, not an easy place to go and win. 

A lot of work still to do, more of the same 2nd half please.

Edited by CammyF