Stats & Analytics

I think the point of these statistics is probably more about stimulating ideas rather than providing answers ... an aid to forming conclusions rather than conclusions in themselves. In any case, no one should take too strong a view on either side. Like Marmite, you can just leave it in the cupboard if you don't like the taste.

Last evening, I watched the old Alma Mater reach the quarter-finals of University Challenge. I noted the University of Strathclyde(Glasgow's premier seat of tertiary education) included a post-grad' studying for a PhD in Statistics. In my day some 45 years past, we called it Quantitative Methods, it was arithmetic that ended with chi squared analysis and t-test for fit. How the hell can you get a Doctorate out of that? Well, the Royal Tech' was notorious for such creativity.

I was reminded of Rangers mercurial talent of the early seventies, Ally Scott. He, of the banana parting hairstyle, was a First Class Honours grad' in Natural Philosophy(Physics), but couldn't kick his arse on the pitch. Ally attended the Gilmorehill Culinary College which I believe is situated somewhere in the west end? Anyways, Manchester Uni' took it up the keester last night, and that's as good a place as any to place a PhD in Statistics.

Bamber Gascoigne Loyal RSC.

17 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

University of Strathclyde(Glasgow's premier seat of tertiary education)

That may be true. Not for me to say.

I recall more than five. decades past,  attending, as a guest, a meeting of the Diagnostic Society of the University of Edinburgh. Needless to say the entire proceedings were a mile above my head but I recall a reference to the newly chartered Strathclyde as “Scotland’s only List D university”.

If it’s any comfort the effete dilettante who said that also called LSE “a working man’s polytechnic”.  Bit rich considering that in the competition 26th mentions, Edinburgh had just been bested by the cockney sparrers from that very institution.

Anyway: stats: expected goals. Many a time I’ve eagerly ascended the terracing stairs expecting a barrowload and got/sod all.

18 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

a reference to the newly chartered Strathclyde as “Scotland’s only List D university”.

A status eagerly grasped by Stirling, which, in course, caused "The Tech" to develop ideas above its station.

The University, Glasgow G12. 

What is the address of the other place? 

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I noted the University of Strathclyde(Glasgow's premier seat of tertiary education) 

That reminds me of Celtic fans' attempts to claim that the are the biggest team in Glasgow.

Vocalised to try and convince themselves, but deep down they know it isn't true. ;)

I find statistical analysis of football boring and quite American but others seem to enjoy it all.  It misses the point of 'the beautiful game'.

Some people just like listening to music and have no interest in reading Bobby Keys' autobiography or trying to figure out what mode Jimmy Page used for the solo on The Rover but others do.

As long as Rangers win, I couldn't care less how many 'expected goals' or 'miles run by the left full-back' there were in a match.

I think it was 1983 when the Mens' Union at Gilmorehill voted to allow women entry to the hallowed halls? Of course, accused of hosting curry nights with lashings of misogyny. I say let the chaps continue to oil each others' buttocks and wrestle naked in front of roaring fires. 

The QM had better bands.

Reference Stats, six out of seven Dwarves are not Happy.