Stats & Analytics

19 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I recall more than five. decades past,  attending, as a guest, a meeting of the Diagnostic Society of the University of Edinburgh. Needless to say the entire proceedings were a mile above my head but I recall a reference to the newly chartered Strathclyde as “Scotland’s only List D university”.

Pastor Jack Glass once used that very phrase on TV during a debate about education in Scotland, he might have been debating against the said University at the time. 

From an entirely personal perspective, having not attended either establishment, all I can contribute is that I pulled in Strathclyde Uni's student union but always found Glasgow's fallow ground. In the spirit of this thread my expected xG was better in John Street and that was the only stat that mattered at the time. 

Of course that probably says more about the young women who frequented both establishments than anything else. Still, happy memories. 

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

It wouldn’t be if it was all just a load of pish. 

As I said in the OP, stats are just facts. It’s what you do with those facts that matters. But they are a valuable tool and our management and recruitment team realise that. 

xg stats are not facts, they are somebodys interpretation of what is either a chance, a good chance, a hard chance. It most certainly is not a fact. Goals are facts, clean sheets are facts, results are facts. Silly stats like xg are not facts at all. Good discussion points perhaps, indicators of progress I will give you if you look at trends with the stats, but facts they most certainly are not. 

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

xg stats are not facts, they are somebodys interpretation of what is either a chance, a good chance, a hard chance. It most certainly is not a fact. Goals are facts, clean sheets are facts, results are facts. Silly stats like xg are not facts at all. Good discussion points perhaps, indicators of progress I will give you if you look at trends with the stats, but facts they most certainly are not. 

The vast majority of stats are just basic facts.

xG is a metric which is calculated using a strictly defined and consistently applied methodology. 

It is a fact, you just have to understand the methodology and process to understand what it is a measure of. The number isn’t random or subjective, it provides an accurate measure of the frequency of a compilation of facts. 

"Now, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!"

Thomas Gradgrind

Hard Times by Charles Dickens. 

22 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Morelos leading in xG, but his actual goals trails his xG quite significantly, maybe consistent with a dip in the form for most of the season. 

Clearly a dip in form, but I always thought he wasn't quite getting the quality of chance, but that suggests he is - or at least getting better chances than he's putting away. 

Should be an upturn around the corner. 

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

And are paid handsomely to do so.  

You are being obtuse and bringing  completely different debate into this.  It was really about stats and the fact some people consider them to be pish whilst others take enjoyment (when we are top of positive stats board anyway) from them.

Whether "its their job" or "they are paid handsomely to do so" is irrelevant.  DMAA's point about management using them still stands - if they were "a load of pish" then the management team would pay no mind to them.

48 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Hagi still miles ahead in expected assists, an even further ahead in actual assists per 90. 

We have 4 of the top 5 ?  And the only one not a Rangers player is Taylor, who now can't even get a game at Celtic because of "14 tackles" Laxalt.....