Stats & Analytics

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Some graphics from the above article, which I found interesting. 

I saw that last night, really good article. 

I was a little bit confused at some of the stats as they seemed to contradict what Modern Fitba put out at first glance but I noticed the difference is that they mostly aren’t “per 90” stats. The latest xA per 90 put out by Modern Fitba still has Hagi top, albeit Kent closing the gap. I’d like to see an update on the metric that shows the number of very good chances created per 90 though, they haven’t put that out in a while and it’s the most valuable one IMO.

I did notice one stat which was different to what Modern Fitba put out. The article said Roofe was leading in non open play xG per 90 with 0.68. The above isn’t non open play in that free kicks are included. However Morelos and Roofe don’t take free kicks so their stats are essentially non open play. It probably a difference in the models being used but it is surprising that there is such a big difference. The amount by which Roofe outperforms his xG is unbelievable though, he can’t keep that up. 

Edited by DMAA

This one is interesting. It really shows how wasteful Kent is. 

25 shots at goal, yet only 3 goals. And, only 2 assists from 16 chances created. (Both of these are from carries, which is running with the ball over 5 metres.)

41 of his 400 ball carries have ended in a Rangers shot, which is 13 more than anyone else in the league. 

They're impressive carry numbers, but he has to do something with them. Nevertheless, I do like the fact that he's trying. 

141291_14_2020_stats_perform_dark_carries_plot-1536x1143.thumb.png.40eb482cd4cc7ce7bd7f34046e44066a.png

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

This one is interesting. It really shows how wasteful Kent is. 

25 shots at goal, yet only 3 goals. And, only 2 assists from 16 chances created. (Both of these are from carries, which is running with the ball over 5 metres.)

41 of his 400 ball carries have ended in a Rangers shot, which is 13 more than anyone else in the league. 

They're impressive carry numbers, but he has to do something with them. Nevertheless, I do like the fact that he's trying. 

141291_14_2020_stats_perform_dark_carries_plot-1536x1143.thumb.png.40eb482cd4cc7ce7bd7f34046e44066a.png

I’m surprised at the shot locations. I find that he takes quite a lot of speculative shots. I guess that would include shots that aren’t necessarily far out but are very unlikely to go in and are comfortably saved. It is notable to me that there aren’tmany passes near the 6 yard box at all, especially centrally (the location with the highest chance of scoring). I’m not seeing his assist for Arfield there in the 8-0 vs Hamilton though which is the closest to that kind of high-scoring-chance assist that I can remember.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

As someone who has never been a big fan of Kent, I will certainly concede that he doesn't hide or lack desire.  

I'm unsure if the problem is skill or intelligence...maybe a bit of both.  

His most notable for me has always been his aggression, which is what Gerrard mentions in that article. As he says, it is unusual in a winger. Aside from that his standout qualities are pace, workrate and the ability to win the ball back (related to aggression). I’ve always said his technical ability is more consistent with an out and out winger who plays on the side of his strong foot than that of an inverted winger, who normally needs to have very close ball control and good vision and passing (Barrie McKay a recent example). 

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’m surprised at the shot locations. I find that he takes quite a lot of speculative shots. I guess that would include shots that aren’t necessarily far out but are very unlikely to go in and are comfortably saved. It is notable to me that there aren’tmany passes near the 6 yard box at all, especially centrally (the location with the highest chance of scoring). I’m not seeing his assist for Arfield there in the 8-0 vs Hamilton though which is the closest to that kind of high-scoring-chance assist that I can remember.

Speculative, yes, but he often just doesn't connect properly. He tries to get the perfect hit, with power, and it often goes wayward. If he would take the power off it, and try to direct it a little more he'd get more success, for me. 

Remember, this is just the carries; where it stops is where the next action takes place. Nevertheless, I agree, he's quite far out, which makes it more difficult to get the assist. (I wonder where Hagi releases the ball?) 

25 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Speculative, yes, but he often just doesn't connect properly. He tries to get the perfect hit, with power, and it often goes wayward. If he would take the power off it, and try to direct it a little more he'd get more success, for me. 

Remember, this is just the carries; where it stops is where the next action takes place. Nevertheless, I agree, he's quite far out, which makes it more difficult to get the assist. (I wonder where Hagi releases the ball?) 

Yeh I'd forgotten it was just carries in my previous comments. Hagi doesn't carry the ball much but I think he does most of his work around the box.

• 9 months later...

When I mentioned that we are "staring disaster in the face" if things don't change, this is the disaster I was referring to. Unless things change drastically, we are looking at a very low points total this season and Celtic are trending towards a very high points total. People are still underestimating them, perhaps not realising they made some good signings very late in the window.

And yes people like to mock these kind of tables but this time last year they were the ones mocking them and very little changed from October/November to May. Celtic have a much easier fixture list ahead too so it really is going to be challenge to find form.