[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 68) - 0 Lech Poznan

31 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The comparison is still just unfair, so I don't like it. The vast majority of Ally's European appearances were against champions. He played against the champions of Italy, Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, England, Russia, Belgium etc, and as we know Rangers badly struggled to challenge those sides. Unlike today, our managers just couldn't crack Europe, and part of that was probably just that opposition were the cream of each country and just stronger than we face in the Europa League today.

That is not a slight on Alfie's European record for one second. 6 of his goals have been against Gibraltan part timers but the rest have been very valuable goals against good teams. I just don't see the value in comparing it to a different time when we played in very different competition.

If we compare the goals scored in the group stages/proper rounds (excluding qualifiers) and where those teams finished in their leagues:

McCoist:
CL: 4 goals - Leeds (C), Grasshoppers (C)
EL: 3 goals - Bohemians (-), Ives (-), Boavista (5)

Morelos:
EL: 9 goals - Rapid Vienna (2), Porto (C), Young Boys (C), Feyenoord (3), Lech Poznan (2).

Morelos shades it, for me. 

The Europa League definitely looks a more difficult prospect now - McCoist was playing against sides from Ireland and Finland!

38 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If we compare the goals scored in the group stages/proper rounds (excluding qualifiers) and where those teams finished in their leagues:

McCoist:

I'd argue Leeds was a qualifier.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

McCoist:

Morelos:
EL: 9 goals - Rapid Vienna (2), Porto (C), Young Boys (C), Feyenoord (3), Lech Poznan (2).

Morelos shades it, for me. 

The Europa League definitely looks a more difficult prospect now - McCoist was playing against sides from Ireland and Finland!

50 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd argue Leeds was a qualifier.

Arbitrary to try to compare still for me. The teams Ally didn’t score against are as important as the ones he did. Rangers underperformed but the level of opposition in the Champions League groups was far higher than EL groups today. 
And you have to include his European Cup goals where he scored against champions of Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Serbia and...well, Malta. Some of these teams were really strong and had won both competitions in question in that period. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Arbitrary to try to compare still for me. The teams Ally didn’t score against are as important as the ones he did. Rangers underperformed but the level of opposition in the Champions League groups was far higher than EL groups today. 
And you have to include his European Cup goals where he scored against champions of Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Serbia and...well, Malta. Some of these teams were really strong and had won both competitions in question in that period. 

The only point I was trying to make when I said that Leeds was a qualifier was that it was a qualifier. 

Ally's goals against Leeds were legendary and some of the most important goals in the last 30 years so I'm not trying to denigrate them. The Leeds games were arguably the 2 most important games that we played in that best season I've seen us having and I loved my 3 European away trips that season.

I fully accept the reasonableness of your viewpoint that you can't compare. I don't fully agree, but any comparison would need to be done with a number of caveats, which you've highlighted.

I do disagree with your comment that Ally "didn't have the benefit of an annual gimme in Gibraltar" as I'd argue that he had more of them on his scoring record than Alfie, but it's hardly a major issue.

Alfie's European scoring achievement of 21 goals over the past 2 and a half seasons is phenomenal. I'm sure we can agree on that, and agree to disagree as to whether it can be compared to an extent to Super's.