Jeremy Corbyn suspended by Labour Party

3 minutes ago, stewarty said:

It was a general point.   Although boris’ government is quite different to may’s 

I would have taken successor government's to generally mean a change from right or left wing or, more specifically, left or right of centre.  Not a changing of the guard.

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No.  You're the one hurting from a democratic vote.

I am delighted with the outcome and want politicians to do what the country voted for and I want people like you to accept the democratic vote.

We seem to be back to where this kicked off.  Just because I don’t agree with brexit doesn’t mean that I don’t accept that it is happening.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

I would have taken successor government's to generally mean a change from right or left wing or, more specifically, left or right of centre.  Not a changing of the guard.

Ok but parties often change in focus based on leadership.  As can be seen with the transition from Corbyn to Starmer.   

30 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Your final point about the will of the people is interesting.  I agree in principle but I also think that when faced with so much uncertainty about what brexit will mean, it’s a perfectly legitimate view to hold that a confirmatory vote is a good way to help get brexit done and make sure that three terms of the deal are sensible.  

There you go again the will of the people only matters if they agree with you.

The condescending, moral superiority complex, holier than thou attitude you're displaying in this thread is the very reason Remain lost the vote in the first place.

A total failure to understand that the man in street isn't a xenophobic bigot simply because his opinion differs from yours rather than the fact that he thinks nobody's listening to his genuinely held concerns.

It's all too reminiscent of Gordon Brown's bigotgate microphone gaff where he thought the woman was a bigot simply because her sincerely held view differed from his.

Too clever by half eh?

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

No government can bind the policies and actions of a successor government.  

People have a right to change their mind. 

Yes but surely only after the first decision has been implemented. What we've witness for the last four years wasn't a campaign to give the electorate an opportunity to change their minds but an attempt to undermine a decision already taken. That much at least is perfectly clear. Come back in five years and sell rejoining the EU to the British electorate.

Western society imbues its children with a level of entitlement that denies them any chance of ever fulfilling their potential, an entitlement that denies any authority that they don't happen to like and erodes respect like dust in the wind. The Independence & Brexit referendums, the Trump election are the most recent and the most extreme expressions of how this fundamental social disease is fostering discontent and destroying cohesion. I'm happy with reviewing these decisions in time but ffs in the meantime can't we accept defeat with even a modicum of grace?

Edited by Bill

28 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

The condescending, moral superiority complex, holier than thou attitude you're displaying in this thread is the very reason Remain lost the vote in the first place.

A total failure to understand that the man in street isn't a xenophobic bigot simply because his opinion differs from yours rather than the fact that he thinks nobody's listening to his genuinely held concerns.

It's all too reminiscent of Gordon Brown's bigotgate microphone gaff where he thought the woman was a bigot simply because her sincerely held view differed from his.

Too clever by half eh?

The only part I’m failing to understand here is what the relevance is of this post.  You seem to be accusing me of making assumptions that I haven’t made for a start, but that’s up to you. 

34 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

Too clever by half eh?

The man in the street, obnoxious as he is to the political elite, might be all that stands between Britain and the final decadent slide into chaos.

2 hours ago, stewarty said:

Ok but parties often change in focus based on leadership.  As can be seen with the transition from Corbyn to Starmer.   

They change in focus, yes.  But they rarely change in terms of political beliefs and policies (in the general sense).

6 hours ago, stewarty said:

The only part I’m failing to understand here is what the relevance is of this post.  You seem to be accusing me of making assumptions that I haven’t made for a start, but that’s up to you. 

Thanks for proving my point.

Investing in a mirror may help mitigate your failure.