[FT] Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 19 pen)

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

In terms of team news, Gerrard has said at today's press conference that Morelos and Jack picked up a couple of knocks last night but should hopefully be ok for Sunday...

I'd be more surprised if Kent, Roofe and Balogun are not on the treatment table and doubtful for Sunday due to the dreadful challenges last night.

Edited by onevision

IMO, this our biggest test of the season. We now know we can get the better of and beat the bheasts but this is where we have failed in the past few years. We have a lead at the top, the other lot are not on league duty but we face a test on the plastic pitch against a team that will be dogged. 

31 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

IMO, this our biggest test of the season. We now know we can get the better of and beat the bheasts but this is where we have failed in the past few years. We have a lead at the top, the other lot are not on league duty but we face a test on the plastic pitch against a team that will be dogged. 

I agree.  We have an opportunity to apply increased pressure on Celtic given they arent on league duty, and at a ground they have dropped points this season.  We must continue to apply that pressure to a creaking Celtic.

We have gone away to Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic and returned with 7 from 9 points (with the only two points dropped being thanks to an offside goal for Hibs) which is commendable.  From those same 3 games Celtic have only had 4 points (two of those games were at home rather than away) - so arguably the 2nd round of fixtures are more difficult for them - we need to make it doubly so by continuing to pick up 3 points and ensuring that Celtic have zero breathing room to drop points.

They haven't had this kind of pressure in a decade - we mustn't let them off the hook.

3 points a must tomorrow - and I couldn't care less how ugly it is achieved. 

Tomorrow's game is a hurdle.

Steven Gerrard's Rangers have visited Rugby Park on six occasions, winning two, drawing one, and losing three. The wins were a last minute Goldson header in the league, and a 1-3 victory in the League Cup. The draw was a 1-1 Scottish Cup tie, and all three defeats were 2-1 in the league.

The pitch is a factor, whether we like to admit it or not. I know we have a similar surface at Auchenhowie and I am sure we utilise it during the build ups to visiting Rugby Park. The ball moves slower in possession keeping cross field passing. It moves quicker when put over the top. The bounce varies, and we have had two players(Murphy and Waghorn) seriously injured on the surface. We must overcome the trepedation.

I have said this before when a Killie match comes on to the horizon, and I'll say it again because it's a fact. Killie play a triangle of defensive midfielders around the centre circle. Tough tackling, hard running, and continually playing right on the edge; Dicker, Power, and Mulumbu hold position, no matter the score, state of the game. Often, Mulumbu will be subbed by Tshibola, a doppelganger. The trio will show you the flanks, the biting tackles begin 10-15 yards outside the box, and any successful intervention sees an immediate ball flung forward for Burke/Brophy.

Interestingly, all three defeats have seen Rangers score first, then have opportunities to double/treble our lead, but they are passed up. Killie squeeze twenty yards further up the park, and the ball is flung into our box from all angles. Europe will have left us slightly leggy, but we MUST start strong and fast, grab a couple of goals and force Killie to change it.

Hoping for lots of positivity tomorrow.

This is a big game.  Gerrard's record there is poor and if we intend to improve on the last two seasons, Rugby Park is as good as place as any to do so.

I'd play the strongest available team - no messing about or tinkering.  If we win, it's statement of intent.  Drop points and it's going to look like nothing has changed (albeit the scum seem to have gotten worse, so it's not a total disaster). 

We can't get carried away about beating them or doing well in Europe because Gerrard has achieved both of these things without winning trophies.

Edited by Gonzo79

Team selection & tactics are crucial. There’s no room for nice football on this dreadful surface.

Playing the ball out from the back is risky. Often the long ball out from defence is the best option.

I might be tempted to go with Itten up front to give us the option of holding the ball up & bringing others into play.

And maybe Jones for a rugby park return in place of Kent who’s been quiet of late.