Black Black Black Black Black

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

I’d be trying hard to be working elsewhere. 

In my line of work, there's no choice but to play the nodding dog.  There are lots of nodding dogs who aren't nodding in any meaningful way.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

In my line of work, there's no choice but to play the nodding dog.  There are lots of nodding dogs who aren't nodding in any meaningful way.

You only get one shot at life. It’s a shame to spend it nodding like a dog. 

It is.  It's also a shame to go through divorce (with all the financial implications that entails) but life is too complicated to do the right thing all the time.

Idealists don't tend to fare well.  

In days gone by, I went to the theatre every now and then and enjoyed some plays with people dressed in costumes appropriate to the narrative, e.g. 30-years war clothes for Wallenstein or tunics for something from antiquity. These days, before even contemplating to buy a ticket, I check pictures of what awaits you at the theatre these days, as I don't want to see e.g. Shakespeare in trench-coat, bikini or some fancy glittering plastic stuff. Yet, that is what you get 9 out of 10 times at the theatre or opera these days, utterly mad.

On a similar note, when the German national team appears and 8 out 11 players are non-"Caucasians" (whoever tought this up), you do start to wonder. I know it is different in Britain ... well, make that England, due to the Commonwealth and colonies background, but for Germany it is still a strange thing to see. Not that people object to that - bar the few braindead every country have - yet it makes you wonder that these chaps from essentially minorities produce more talented footballers these days than the "white" Germans. Then again, the latter's kids are more willing to win wars and games at Playstation and high-end gaming PCs rather than slogging it out in the cold and rain themselves.

Edited by der Berliner

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

In days gone by, I went to the theatre every now and then and enjoyed some plays with people dressed in costumes appropriate to the narrative, e.g. 30-years war clothes for Wallenstein or tunics for something from antiquity. These days, before even contemplating to buy a ticket, I check pictures of what awaits you at the theatre these days, as I don't want to see e.g. Shakespeare in trench-coat, bikini or some fancy glittering plastic stuff. Yet, that is what you get 9 out of 10 times at the theatre or opera these days, utterly mad.

On a similar note, when the German national team appears and 8 out 11 players are non-"Caucasians" (whoever tought this up), you do start to wonder. I know it is different in Britain ... well, make that England, due to the Commonwealth and colonies background, but for Germany it is still a strange thing to see. Not that people object to that - bar the few braindead every country have - yet it makes you wonder that these chaps from essentially minorities produce more talented footballers these days than the "white" Germans. Then again, the latter's kids are more willing to win wars and games at Playstation and high-end gaming PCs rather than slogging it out in the cold and rain themselves.

Agree. I used to go to the RSC in Stratford a lot. I don't like Shakespeare in modern dress. So passe.