Black Black Black Black Black

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Agree. I used to go to the RSC in Stratford a lot. I don't like Shakespeare in modern dress. So passe.

Gadzooks, didn't know there was a supporters club in Stratford,  do they run panaquins to home games?

Edited by gaspard

14 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I could have sworn she was an ACTRESS. I remember when we had conductors and conductresses.

So is Gal Gadot, but apparently she is too white for some, to play Cleopatra in the new film??  

8 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

there is some evidence that Cleo was dark

Is there?

Having seen a few films featuring Gadot, I'm not a fan.  She's a mediocre actress and her accent is a bit annoying.  I suspect there's another reason she gets so many parts - aesthetics. 

Edited by Gonzo79

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is there?

Having seen a few films featuring Gadot, I'm not a fan.  She's a mediocre actress and her accent is a bit annoying.  I suspect there's another reason she gets so many parts - aesthetics. 

Iman Bowie might be better? Can't post a photo due to primitive IT skills.

If we are to follow the identity politics nonsense to its (il)logical conclusion, only an actual Egyptian Queen could play Cleopatra.

And only an actual serial killer could play Ted Bundy.  And only an actual tennis champion could play Serena Williams etc.  

Or does it all boil down to skin colour?  And isn't that a bit racist.

25 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Now, actually there is some evidence that Cleo was dark, something like modern Ethiopians so different to Anne Boleyn's situation.

Yep, though her name is not known as it was deemed somewhat illegitimate, her father Ptolemaios XII had a second wife, probably a high-standing Egyptian lady or priestess, whom he a few children with, including Cleopatra VII, i.e. the Cleopatra. Did a bit on Egyptian history while at university.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Now, actually there is some evidence that Cleo was dark, something like modern Ethiopians so different to Anne Boleyn's situation.

Read, somewhere  sometime,  that the nearest modern group racially to the ancient Egyptians are the Coptic Christians of the modern country.