Jordan Jones and George Edmundson suspended by club for breaching Covid restrictions

Celtic boss Lennon accuses Scottish Government of double standards over Rangers pair Jones and Edmundson

• 4 Nov 2020, 22:30
  • Updated: 4 Nov 2020, 23:16

NEIL LENNON has accused the Scottish Government of double standards — for failing to hammer Rangers revellers Jordan Jones and George Edmundson.

The two Ibrox fringe players broke Covid-19 restrictions by hosting a house party last Sunday night.

They were hit with an on-the-spot police fine and immediately suspended by Gers pending an internal club investigation.

That saw Nicola Sturgeon’s officials praise Gers’ response, by saying: “We commend Rangers for taking such swift and decisive action in this instance, to protect the rest of their squad and wider public.”

But Lennon slammed that reaction, given the First Minister shamed Celtic’s Boli Bolingoli when he went AWOL in August.

He said: “I can’t comment on what the Rangers boys did.

“What I can comment on is the reaction from the government, which I find bewildering considering the way they treated us after the Bolingoli incident.

“There seems to be double standards as far as we’re concerned.

“You’d need to ask the government about that. The comments from their spokesperson, I found strange to say the least.

“We as a club did and I’m sure our supporters did as well. I’m not happy about it. We were thrown under the bus.

“We were subjected to, ‘Privileged footballers, yellow card’ and blah, blah, blah.

“We have been treated in one way and other clubs have been treated another by the government. That’s unacceptable from our point of view.”

Celtic defender Jeremie Frimpong, 19, invited a friend to jet over to Scotland from America to stay with him. But did NOT break Covid protocols.

Lennon added: “Jerry didn’t break any rules. We were aware of it a few weeks ago. And since then he has had about half a dozen tests where he has been negative.

“There is pressure enough playing football. Having to be restricted in your movements can be difficult for them.

“But it’s something we have to adhere to until things start to get better.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6241832/celtic-lennon-governent-double-standards-rangers-jones-edmundson/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1604529061

It should galvanise the Rangers squad. 

Again Lennon uses every opportunity to take the narrative away from his team's form and performances and have the media and supporter looking elsewhere. I sincerely hope Rangers ignore this completely. Our players will need to be very careful from now on though, another breach of protocol, how ever it occurs, is likely to see harsher punishment from the authorities. 

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

NEIL LENNON has accused the Scottish Government of double standards — for failing to hammer Rangers revellers Jordan Jones and George Edmundson. 

He must think Celtic fans are idiots.

I think they will see through his deflection tactics.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Celtic boss Lennon accuses Scottish Government of double standards over Rangers pair Jones and Edmundson

• 4 Nov 2020, 22:30
  • Updated: 4 Nov 2020, 23:16

The two Ibrox fringe players broke Covid-19 restrictions by hosting a house party last Sunday night.

They were hit with an on-the-spot police fine and immediately suspended by Gers pending an internal club investigation.

That saw Nicola Sturgeon’s officials praise Gers’ response, by saying: “We commend Rangers for taking such swift and decisive action in this instance, to protect the rest of their squad and wider public.”

But Lennon slammed that reaction, given the First Minister shamed Celtic’s Boli Bolingoli when he went AWOL in August.

He said: “I can’t comment on what the Rangers boys did.

“What I can comment on is the reaction from the government, which I find bewildering considering the way they treated us after the Bolingoli incident.

“There seems to be double standards as far as we’re concerned.

“You’d need to ask the government about that. The comments from their spokesperson, I found strange to say the least.

“We as a club did and I’m sure our supporters did as well. I’m not happy about it. We were thrown under the bus.

“We were subjected to, ‘Privileged footballers, yellow card’ and blah, blah, blah.

“We have been treated in one way and other clubs have been treated another by the government. That’s unacceptable from our point of view.”

Celtic defender Jeremie Frimpong, 19, invited a friend to jet over to Scotland from America to stay with him. But did NOT break Covid protocols.

Lennon added: “Jerry didn’t break any rules. We were aware of it a few weeks ago. And since then he has had about half a dozen tests where he has been negative.

“There is pressure enough playing football. Having to be restricted in your movements can be difficult for them.

“But it’s something we have to adhere to until things start to get better.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6241832/celtic-lennon-governent-double-standards-rangers-jones-edmundson/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1604529061

Lennon is a moron. Wonders why we are praised for dealing with a player properly then admits to not dealing with one of his players who clearly did break the rules. 

No wonder celtc are struggling with this. 

You can only hope the government hammer them again for clearly putting football before lives.