Jordan Jones and George Edmundson suspended by club for breaching Covid restrictions

The question for me is this. Would the two of them have turned up for training next day if the police hadn't been involved? You have to assume they would have. They broke the rules deliberately or in ignorance but either way they would almost certainly have put the entire footballing operation in jeopardy and that beggars another question. Has this happened before - perhaps many times, perhaps with other players involved - but not come to light because they were never discovered? Whatever the case, the possible consequences are so severe that this is one occasion where deterence is the most important aspect of punishment and both Edmundson and Jones should be released from their contracts immediately.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

both Edmundson and Jones should be released from their contracts immediately.

I think this is highly unlikely. Even if we are able to do it without legal issues, the fact is that they are assets and you have to worry about precedent. There is always a risk that one of our £10m+ players will try to get off with what they see as a minor breach and we couldn't treat them any differently, and we just aren't going to throw money away like that. Maybe loans are the next move. Very disappointed about Edmundsons in particular, I think he has a lot of potential.