[FT] Benfica 3 - 3 Rangers (Goncalves 24og; Kamara 25; Morelos 51)

5 hours ago, Fat Eck said:

But ye surely have to allow a few days to feel absolutely gutted by the fact we were 3-1 up against Benfica at the Stadium of Light, against ten men, and didn't see it out. There's no crime in feeling like that and, to be honest, I think it's probably emotionally necessary. Processing what we went through last night will let me fully enjoy the next big victory 

Last night was the reverse. It was a short term boot to the baws which can't hide the long-term magnificence of what Gerrard's generally achieving and how focused, hungry and relentless we look this season.

But, until we get a trophy to parade, being able to say we won at Estadio da Luz - that we beat Benfica on their own patch - was gonnae be more than consolation for me. That was a victory for the ages we had in our grasp there. I'm just absolutely devastated, for the team and the entire support as much as myself. We'd all earned that. And to actually taste it - to see the path to victory unfolding so clearly in front of us, then chuck it... ach, you wouldn't be human not to be gutted.

We might yet beat Benfica at home. That will be sensational. The quick study that is Stevie G will probably have learned enough to take us to an even more magnificent away win in the latter stages of Europe this season (is Man U at Old Trafford still a possibility?).

But while I condemn no Rangers employee for last night - while I'll never deride coming back from Benfica with a point - I'll never forget the pain of the night we were two up and cruising at Estadio da Luz, in Europe, and let it go.

Fantastic post from Fat Eck! Sums up eloquently how I feel. It's taken me a full 24 hours to begin to come to terms with that result. I have been unable to face any sort of analysis before then. Having read through 21 pages of the thread, I still feel we threw away such a marvellous opportunity to beat a team of that calibre in their midden, albeit with 10 men! In GPL, I predicted a (hopeful) draw, but the manner we threw it away still grates. We should be 1 point away from qualification from 3 remaining games. As it is, Benfica will have a huge wake up from that game, I expect a stiffer test at the return at Ibrox, and we have a difficult trip to Poland to negotiate as well. Not saying it's not achievable, just the journey could have been a helluva lot smoother. I will never understand, with the quality of our bench, why we did not deploy the other 4 subs to stifle the opposition and see the game out. After all, we did it against Killie, why not Benfica?

1 hour ago, Ted McMinnime said:

I will never understand, with the quality of our bench, why we did not deploy the other 4 subs to stifle the opposition and see the game out. After all, we did it against Killie, why not Benfica?

Possibly because, unlike God, we're not perfect and sometimes get it wrong. I can live with that.

1 hour ago, Ted McMinnime said:

As it is, Benfica will have a huge wake up from that game, I expect a stiffer test at the return at Ibrox

Yeh I think so. Their manager spoke highly of us after the game, said we were a quality side and he was particularly complimentary of Tavernier and Barisic. I think they probably learned a lot more from that game than we did. What I hope we learned is not to give a quality player like Waldschmidt loads of time and space to pick a pass from outside the box, because he won’t waste that opportunity.