Green Bowls Crown...

The thing about the cases involving Rangers/Duffand Phelps/Green and the rest they looked like an easy peasy open and shut case when the evidence was thoroughly examined by all parties they then saw they never had a pot to piss in more sloppy work from the procurator and his staff more power to the claimants I hope they are all handsomely compensated. 

Mr David Grier; remember him?

If memory serves, he was called  "The Enemy Within", and represented the Bank (BoS/HBoS/LBG whichever it was) on the Board. 

Now, the poor fellow is suing The Polis for £2M. "The £nemy Within" would have been a more appropriate appellation. 

However, in the current case, his second (do keep up) tilt at the public purse, he reveals that he was the subject of a 'blackmail' attempt, which used e mails hacked from the account of Mr Craig Whyte (and whoever doesn't remember him is a liar).

Grier's Silk stated that Grier

"...was contacted by somebody who wanted a sum of cash from him in return of non-disclosure of information."

I need some help.

I have watched any number of classic noir, in B & W, neo noir, and the rest; I have read pulp, and noir, and scandi noir, tartan noir, and neo noir; I have read Chandler backwards; I have never come across a plot where the victim of blackmail or extortion, is, in the first instance , or in the final analysis, the clean tottie, as pure as the driven snow. 

I mean, why would anyone even think about blackmailing a paragon of probity?

I noted this, too, from the report

"Lord Tyre ordered that the police hand over the documents and information being sought by Mr Smith."

Perhaps The Learned Justice's attention could be directed to the current SNP/Salmond/Sturgeon/Scottish Parliamentary Committeee/etc

imbroglio over availability of evidence in the Salmond Sex Trial Fallout hearings. 

(On another note, will we see Mr Salmond pursue the Crown for 'malicious prosecution', and a substantial wedge? After all, It seems to be like buying money.)

Expert arrested in Rangers case ‘hit by blackmail plot’

James Mulholland

Saturday November 14 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Football

A business expert arrested during a Rangers fraud investigation was the victim of a blackmail plot using information that had allegedly been hacked from a former owner’s emails, a court heard.

David Grier had been contacted by an “individual” who tried to obtain money from him, his lawyer, Advocate Andrew Smith, QC, said.

Mr Smith told the judge, Lord Tyre, that the attempt took place after Mr Grier had been arrested by detectives investigating claims of wrongdoing at the football club.

Mr Smith was speaking during a second action which has been raised by Mr Grier.

In the latest proceedings, Mr Grier is suing the chief constable of Police Scotland for acting unlawfully when he was arrested during an investigation into wrongdoing at Rangers. He is seeking £2 million in damages from the force.

Mr Grier, who has been cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, is also suing the lord advocate, claiming that prosecutors had no evidence to justify him being arrested and charged.

Mr Smith said the blackmail attempt had been made using information obtained from an email database. The cache, which is said to hold 100,000 emails, contains information from emails belonging to the former Rangers owner Craig Whyte, the Court of Session was told.

Material from the cache had been posted on Twitter in 2013 by an account called Charlotte Fakes.

In a previous hearing, Mr Smith said that the emails had been obtained unlawfully though hacking Mr Whyte’s email account.

Yesterday, Mr Smith said Mr Grier had told Detective Chief Inspector Jim Robertson, the senior police officer who led the Rangers fraud investigation, about the blackmail attempt.

Mr Smith spoke moments after Gerry Moynihan, QC, the lawyer acting for the lord advocate, told the court that information from Charlotte Fakes had been used in a blackmail attempt.

Mr Smith added: “With regard to the blackmail attempt, the victim of that was my client who has given me instructions to reveal it was him who was the victim.

“My client was contacted by somebody who wanted a sum of cash from him in return of non-disclosure of information. My client reported the matter to Robertson and he referred to him to the Metropolitan Police and somehow Robertson hoovered it back up. There was an inquiry which appeared to go nowhere.”

Mr Grier’s cases were brought in the light of admissions made by the Crown in another case brought by the businessmen David Whitehouse and Paul Clark. Prosecutors have admitted that Mr Whitehouse and Mr Clark were wrongfully arrested and prosecuted. The two men are seeking a total of £20.8 million from the Crown Office and Police Scotland.

This week, the former Rangers executive Charles Green was also told that he was able to receive damages after the Crown admitted it had conducted a “malicious” prosecution against him.

In the latest case yesterday, Mr Smith asked Lord Tyre to order the police to hand over documentation relating to the failed prosecution. The advocate also asked the court to order the police to hand over a copy of the Charlotte Fakes database.

Lord Tyre ordered that the police hand over the documents and information being sought by Mr Smith.

The case will next call for another procedural hearing alongside Mr Grier’s other action on December 9.

16 minutes ago, compo said:

Maybe what was in the emails was nothing to do with the case maybe he has a dark secret he wants to keep under wraps. 

That's possible, but the e mails, as far as I know, refer to the Rangers' tax case/take over/ administration/liquidation/subsequent takeover/etc.

It is possible, also, that the e mails expose the person who actually slid the stiletto between the ribs of the body corporate, in those last days of the Murray Empire.  

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

That's possible, but the e mails, as far as I know, refer to the Rangers' tax case/take over/ administration/liquidation/subsequent takeover/etc.

It is possible, also, that the e mails expose the person who actually slid the stiletto between the ribs of the body corporate, in those last days of the Murray Empire.  

Ah the mysterious knife in the back man probably one of our own 

6 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Mr David Grier; remember him?

If memory serves, he was called  "The Enemy Within", and represented the Bank (BoS/HBoS/LBG whichever it was) on the Board. 

Now, the poor fellow is suing The Polis for £2M. "The £nemy Within" would have been a more appropriate.

David Grier wasn't "the enemy within" that particular sobriquet belonged to Donald Muir.

I was present at the High Court in Aberdeen when it was first revealed that the Fiscal had ordered the raids on the defendants solicitors offices and removed all the defence files. I initially thought I misheard but it soon it became clear I hadn't. 

There was never ever any possibility of a successful prosecution after that revelation, the Keystone Cops could not have mounted a more inept investigation and prosecution.

Edited by forlanssister

12 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

David Grier wasn't "the enemy within" that particular solibriquet belonged to Donald Muir.

I was present at the High Court in Aberdeen when it was first revealed that the Fiscal had ordered the raids on the defendants solicitors offices and removed all the defence files. I initially thought I misheard but it soon it became clear I hadn't. 

There was never ever any possibility of a successful prosecution after that revelation, the Keystone Cops could not have mounted a more inept investigation and prosecution.

I stand corrected. Muir was the bank's man.

I can only say, in mitigation, that all these cee/blank/blank/tees look the same. 

Still would like to know in what way Grier could be the subject of blackmail.