I think the day's coming when the heading of the football is going to be outlawed  the brain damage people are on the rise and are gaining more and more attention to their  claims yes it wont be long to heading is banned or limited then it will be something next like tackling that will come under scrutiny . 

You don’t really see our players tackling much nowadays, not in it’s proper form anyway. It’s all about staying on their feet and snapping at the heels of the opponent. Think heading could get banned to some extent but I can’t see it being completely phased out.

Much as I regret the change, I'm afraid its now inevitable heading will be removed from the game. Either had or protective headgear of some kind will become mandatory. You can't have loads of people with attributable demential ffs.

Headgear would make no difference, hence why it's never been adopted above amateur level in boxing, it's all about the force not the impact, as the force causes the brain trauma ie. shaking inside the skull.

And the arguments about the older heavier ball are moot too, as the force of a modern ball is the same in reality - Force=Mass x Acceleration - aye newer balls are much lighter, but they're coming at you a hell of a lot quicker.

7 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

it's all about the force not the impact

The difference between force and impact being what exactly?

I'm clearly not the engineer you are but I intuitively see a difference between being struck on the head by a one kg steel hammer and a one kg sponge rubber hammer, both travelling at the same speed. If by "impact" you mean the speed of transfer of momentum then I don't see why headgear would make no difference. Motor cyclists seem to derive some benefit from this principle. I might even contend that it's actually all about the impact, not the force. No?

Edited by Bill

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

The difference between force and impact being what exactly?

I'm clearly not the engineer you are but I intuitively see a difference between being struck on the head by a one kg steel hammer and a one kg sponge rubber hammer, both travelling at the same speed. If by "impact" you mean the speed of transfer of momentum then I don't see why headgear would make no difference. Motor cyclists seem to derive some benefit from this principle. I might even contend that it's actually all about the impact, not the force. No?

My bad, poorly worded. The headgear like they use in rugby is to stop cuts from surface impact of bone on bone, same in boxing, to stop cuts from gloves on bone.

These would have no benefit in football as the baw doesn't have any of those risks.

It's a different ballgame in motor cycles, they are designed to stop head trauma from a one off event, not repeated blows.

Edited by Devil's advocaat