One Game at a Time?

53 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I don't think there is one this year.

Not that it matters.

It's an oft repeated myth. Just like the one about us benefiting from empty stadiums. 

We do seem to like our myths and legends.

In these difficult times they give us all something to believe in. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

It's an oft repeated myth. Just like the one about us benefiting from empty stadiums. 

I'm convinced that we do benefit from empty stadiums...even if it's only that refs seem to be able to generally referee games more fairly. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

I don't think there is one this year.

Not that it matters.

We have come back from the break twice and let Celtic overtake us and open up a gap. If there was a winter break this year I wouldn't be worried about it, but it's probably a little bit more than a myth in that there is truth in it. On empty stadiums, I think it benefits us away from home. The teams in this league need every advantage they can get against us and losing their crowd doesn't help them. I don't think it makes much difference at Ibrox, I think too much has been made of that. 

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

I'm convinced that we do benefit from empty stadiums...even if it's only that refs seem to be able to generally referee games more fairly. 

Perhaps the players can actually hear what our manager and coaches shout at them. 

Perhaps what our manager and coaches shout at them is actually worth hearing.

15 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Perhaps the players can actually hear what our manager and coaches shout at them. 

Perhaps what our manager and coaches shout at them is actually worth hearing.

Get intae them!

25 minutes ago, DMAA said:

We have come back from the break twice and let Celtic overtake us and open up a gap. If there was a winter break this year I wouldn't be worried about it, but it's probably a little bit more than a myth in that there is truth in it.

I don't think anyone would argue that we've twice come back from the break a poorer side. However, I struggle to see the basis for a cause-and-effect argument. Surely simply taking a break can't make a team play more poorly. There has to be more to it than that.

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't think anyone would argue that we've twice come back from the break a poorer side. However, I struggle to see the basis for a cause-and-effect argument. Surely simply taking a break can't make a team play more poorly. There has to be more to it than that.

Yeh I do agree. There was a pretty straightforward explanation at the time. We lost 2-1 at Tynecastle without Tavernier, Helander and Morelos (and Jack for 45 minutes). Helander was underappreciated at the time but I think people realise now he was a much bigger miss than they thought. By the time Tavernier finally returned from injury we had dropped 5 points, and then straightaway Barisic got injured and missed 3 games in which we dropped another 5. Of course these things weren't excuses but it wasn't like it was a total mystery, we had rotten luck with our hardest-to-replace players missing loads of games.

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

Yeh I do agree. There was a pretty straightforward explanation at the time. We lost 2-1 at Tynecastle without Tavernier, Helander and Morelos (and Jack for 45 minutes). Helander was underappreciated at the time but I think people realise now he was a much bigger miss than they thought. By the time Tavernier finally returned from injury we had dropped 5 points, and then straightaway Barisic got injured and missed 3 games in which we dropped another 5. Of course these things weren't excuses but it wasn't like it was a total mystery, we had rotten luck with our hardest-to-replace players missing loads of games.

That sort of thing makes more sense to me although I suspect some players did lose momentum during the time spent in Dubai. Perhaps the coaching staff saw it as an opportunity to "fix" a few things and only managed to confuse a settled regime. Because some players like Kamara and Davis could hardly stumble through a game after New Year.