[FT] Rangers 2 (Arfield 7; Roofe 69) - 2 Benfica

On 25/11/2020 at 09:32, Frankie said:

The loss of Otamendi, Weigl, Taarabt and the first game changer Nunez means opportunity knocks once again...

The loss of Nuno Tavares at left back is significant too. Well, their backup is valued at £25m by Transfermarkt and played the second half in the first game, but for whatever reason he has played second fiddle to Tavares this season. They are also missing Almeida and Pedrinho who seem to be their backup right back and right winger so not overly significant but they still get plenty appearances from the bench. Tolida is irrelevant really, a youth player who hasn't played this season.

Waldschmidt is the big dangerman for me. Him and Nunez changed the game last time. They had no threat until they came on. His through balls were world class for both goals so hopefully we treat him with more respect in this game and don't give him an inch, both goals would have been prevented if we'd done that last time.

Edited by DMAA

Just had a look back at the team we started against Rapid Vienna when we got knocked out in 18/19 and compared it to the team who started against Benfica. The core of our team is the same, and yet the 4 changes make a big difference (I haven't counted Kamara over Arfield because Arfield still plays).

McAuley 38     -      Helander 27

Coulibaly 21     -     Aribo 24

McCrorie 19     -     Davis 35

Middleton 18    -     Kent 24

And what that doesn't even take into account is that the rest of the team, to a man, are better players than they were then, playing in a system which is now second nature to them.

Another European game which, in previous seasons, would've been huge almost feels like a distraction.

It'd be terrific to get a win tonight but I'd be satisfied with a draw against a very expensively assembled Benfica side.

I don't expect to see anything unusual in our line up or how we play and hope we can take our chances and remain focused in defence.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Another European game which, in previous seasons, would've been huge almost feels like a distraction.

It'd be terrific to get a win tonight but I'd be satisfied with a draw against a very expensively assembled Benfica side.

I don't expect to see anything unusual in our line up or how we play and hope we can take our chances and remain focused in defence.

Disagree it's a distraction. This is the theatre we should be playing in. Hope it once again becomes our focus when we secure our league title (and no I'm not counting chickens).