[FT] Rangers 2 (Arfield 7; Roofe 69) - 2 Benfica

7 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Sorry manager has to take the blame there.

I understand subs might not work when it comes to defensive organisation but we were losing our shape due to tiredness and we really should have made changes.

However, if you'd said we'd draw both games beforehand, of course, we would have taken that but to draw again from 2-0 up is very, very disappointing.

Yes. The first goal was caused partly by the fact that the Benfica midfielder has loads of space and time to play a really good ball deep into our box. Morelos was just walking around, if Itten is on I would say that midfield doesn’t have time to play that ball. With the second goal it isn’t directly caused by a lack of closing down but we were just inviting them forward in general by the lack of energy up front. Itten and Barker should have been on for Kent and Morelos, or even a more defensive minded sub to shore up the back, it didn’t have to be like for like. 

So frustrating that we have just had another very good result in Europe all things considered and we can’t fully enjoy it again because a great win has been dangled in front of us and thrown away again. 

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, RabiDuck said:

Table confuses me, can anyone help? Same points as Benfica, 2 behind on goal difference, drew both games with them, how come were too not them?

We scored more over there - head to head takes precedence over GD.

Seeded in pot 4 and unbeaten thus far and 1 win away (possibly a draw) from qualification with a home game next week. 

Would have bitten your hand off for that at start of competition. We are punching way above or weight tonight and didn't look our of place. 

Deep breaths, calm heads, our EL destiny is still in our own hands as we top the group 5 points clear of 3rd and 4th placed teams.

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Like I say may or may not have helped but it was obvious we were struggling, mentally as much as anything in those last 15mins.

The 1st goal going in should have been the signal to make a change. It was clear the status quo was working for them and we were tired. They had made 3/4 subs. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

Seeded in pot 4 and unbeaten thus far and 1 win away (possibly a draw) from qualification with a home game next week. 

Would have bitten your hand off for that at start of competition. We are punching way above or weight tonight and didn't look our of place. 

Deep breaths, calm heads, our EL destiny is still in our own hands as we top the group 5 points clear of 3rd and 4th placed teams.

Yes, that’s what the head says, but the heart has a dagger stuck in it right now. I need to go to A&E. What have this team just done to me. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

Agreed.

Mental how some fans are complaining, aye we were 2-0 up but Benfica are a quality side yet we should have won, we were unlucky tonight nothing else

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We are punching way above or weight tonight and didn't look our of place. 

Yep. It’s easy to get greedy and forget that it is actually very unusual for us to do this well in Europe. Gerrard is working wonders in Europe.  

1 minute ago, weebluedevil said:

Yes, that’s what the head says, but the heart has a dagger stuck in it right now. I need to go to A&E. What have this team just done to me. 

Get a grip man! how far have we come, still unbeaten