[FT] Rangers 2 (Arfield 7; Roofe 69) - 2 Benfica

Just now, DMAA said:

Yep. It’s easy to get greedy and forget that it is actually very unusual for us to do this well in Europe. Gerrard is working wonders in Europe.  

That's what it comes down to.

Benfica are a great team so to get a draw and be disappointed with it says a lot about the progress we've made.

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

Get a grip man! how far have we come, still unbeaten

Again, I understand that, still doesn’t make me feel any better. I thought we were winning that and we should have. We should have learned if not at 2-0 up, certainly at 2-1. Why we didn’t make a change to bring on fresh legs is beyond me. 

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Got them a draw.

Yeh. Although it must be said that this time I don’t think there were any big mistakes in the goals we lost. The first one I’ve already mentioned there was a lack of energy that resulted in their midfielder having loads of space, and Tavernier maybe could have directed his header better. But all in all there was a huge element of luck in how the ball dropped for them there. The second goal was actually some really good play from Benfica with quick sharp passing and an outstanding finish, and again there was a lot of luck in how the ball fell to him. Not a lot that could be done there really. 

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, weebluedevil said:

Again, I understand that, still doesn’t make me feel any better. I thought we were winning that and we should have. We should have learned if not at 2-0 up, certainly at 2-1. Why we didn’t make a change to bring on fresh legs is beyond me. 

We were never in control of that match even at 2-0 up, for me they controlled the match and we just defended and tried to hit them on the break. Good result for us tonight

Ultimately, Benfica are a first class team (think Leverkusen) so to get a draw (twice) & still be disappointed says a lot about the progress we've made. Let's take care of Standard Liege (& Falkirk first) & we'll all be smiling as wide as the Forth (sorry Clyde) this time next week.