[FT] Rangers 2 (Arfield 7; Roofe 69) - 2 Benfica

what we have to realise is if we drew no matter what Gerrard did we would be grumbling. say we made 5 subs at 2-1 and drew we would be going what was he thinking making so many changes.

That's human nature. Sure with hindsight I would have liked changes as well. 

I am basking in the results across these 2 legs though. we would have put them out on aggregate. Quite some scalp in that sense.  

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Put me in the 'why didn't we make any subs' camp. I'd have replaced our forward three with Barker, Hagi and Itten and either Davis or Arfield with Helander when it was 2-1. We were clearly struggling to match them at that point as their 4 subs injected freshness and energy to their play. Looking at our bench you realise we're still a bit thin squad wise. It feels like Stewart and Barjonas are simply being kept around to make up the numbers as neither looks like ever playing while Dickson and King are not close to being ready for this level. 

That grumble aside I can't lose sight of the fact we just went toe-to-toe with Benfica and produced two wonderful matches. Ten goals, some wonderful football from both sides, and, in truth both sides can feel fortunate to have drawn while also feeling they could have won. The simple truth is our first team are now at the same level as Benfica and if we can maintain that this season we'll play European football after Christmas and we'll win the league. No slip ups, no distractions, keep focused and keep playing as we can and it won't matter if they appoint Guardiola assisted by Klopp, this will be our season. We can all see the potential now, we know 55 is in our own hands and if they can keep entertaining us with that beautiful football we play then so much the better. 

And as an aside to those points above , over the 2 games , we were behind for the grand total of 22 minutes over 180 .

I thought Tav's header was poor (he admitted as much in his post-match interview).

Benfica's second was something else - four or five top class quick passes, an excellent finish and one of those goals you just have to accept. 

6 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Put me in the 'why didn't we make any subs' camp. I'd have replaced our forward three with Barker, Hagi and Itten and either Davis or Arfield with Helander when it was 2-1. We were clearly struggling to match them at that point as their 4 subs injected freshness and energy to their play. Looking at our bench you realise we're still a bit thin squad wise. It feels like Stewart and Barjonas are simply being kept around to make up the numbers as neither looks like ever playing while Dickson and King are not close to being ready for this level. 

That grumble aside I can't lose sight of the fact we just went toe-to-toe with Benfica and produced two wonderful matches. Ten goals, some wonderful football from both sides, and, in truth both sides can feel fortunate to have drawn while also feeling they could have won. The simple truth is our first team are now at the same level as Benfica and if we can maintain that this season we'll play European football after Christmas and we'll win the league. No slip ups, no distractions, keep focused and keep playing as we can and it won't matter if they appoint Guardiola assisted by Klopp, this will be our season. We can all see the potential now, we know 55 is in our own hands and if they can keep entertaining us with that beautiful football we play then so much the better. 

Disagree.  The only reason that bench looked weak is because of the European rules on homegrown players - that is why King, Dickson and Barjonas were on the bench.

13 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Just a wee post script. Can anyone tell my why our 1st goal was not offside last night? Is it because Roofe is beyond the goalie? He's clearly the most advanced player when Arfield strikes the ball 

all to do with interfering with play / phases of play