[FT] Rangers 3 (Goldson 39; Tavernier 45+1 pen; Arfield 63) - 2 Standard Liege

2 hours ago, Franc Ergs said:

Wonder which team have conceded the most goals in the Europa league so far ?

Just wondering.

Step for a hint...

Group H

# TEAM P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Lille 5 3 2 0 12 5 7 11
2 Milan 5 3 1 1 11 7 4 10
3 Sparta Prague 5 2 0 3 10 11 -1 6
4 Celtic 5 0 1 4 7 17 -10 1

9 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

That’s the benefit of having people in the dugout who have a real clue. Previous managers have shown undoubted nous in Europe but the current guys have a slight edge in that they have played and won at the highest level.

But I digress, we could’ve come unstuck tonight. The really pleasing aspect is that we didn’t panic, we upped our levels when required and should have ran out more comfortable winners. Without putting the cart before the horse, I’d love to see what our recruitment could look like with access to greater resources. Along side an insatiable desire for success by way of silverware, I’d imagine that the carrot of being able to shop for better players must be a tremendous incentive for Stevie and his staff.

Well done to everyone concerned. The only thing to bring a wider smile to my coupon this evening is the sight of smoke coming off Colonel Blink’s eyelid as he was recounting the abysmal defending of the Charlies backline, just as Super struggled to keep a straight face.

Luvleh.

Forza Gers

It's the old modern, progressive, professional approach that has proved so elusive for Scottish clubs.

I think as well as those in charge of the football knowing what they are doing, they command the necessary levels of respect from a squad/board/media,... to have been able to reach this point.

Contrast PLG and Gerrard, Delia and Rodgers.

Old (Scottish) school managers in older times did well but the more recent old schoolers (eg.McCoist and Lennon) don't.

Bringing Steven Gerrard up the road and backing him was the way to go. If it was down to Dave King, then hats off to him.

From day one, it crossed my mind that Gerrard might privately think of doing a Bill Shankly, in reverse. Englishman goes to Glasgow and puts a huge club where it wants to be.

25 minutes ago, buster. said:

From day one, it crossed my mind that Gerrard might privately think of doing a Bill Shankly, in reverse. Englishman goes to Glasgow and puts a huge club where it wants to be

Interesting comparison. Nominations for the Bob Paisley part?