[FT] Rangers 3 (Goldson 39; Tavernier 45+1 pen; Arfield 63) - 2 Standard Liege

Really poor start from us, but I think that's more to do with Liege's approach than us - although we've taken a long time to get to grips with them, and been a bit lethargic and tame in challenges.

Our defending has been terrible. Their wingers are constantly in space. 

Got out of jail at the end with the Penalty. It was a Penalty but it's harsh.

I thought we were starting to get to grips with them, and created a couple of good chances towards the end of the half. 

We need to buck up defensively and find a way to play through (or over the top) them.

Standard have more energy, more fluidity, appear stronger, and pinned us for a full thirty minutes. Our first attempt came in the 31st minute from a quick turn and shot from Morelos. Can Liege keep it up?

Our first equaliser came from our first set piece, the second from a fortunate penalty.

We need a bigger presence in midfield, it would stop Standard's forward movement and give us more of a platform to begin attacks. I would take the final whistle now, we're through and no knowing injuries. If we win it, I'll take that too.

A lot of the players did not look happy at the end of that half , the next 45 will tell us a lot about the mentality of this squad.

plus this is a win or bust for Liege, don’t forget that .

We all know how important Tav and Barisic are for us in wide areas but, sometimes, they have to be a wee bit more conservative and ensure cover is there.

Jack is a miss on the right of our midfield three as Arfield doesn't quite have the same defensive qualities so we are too open down that side.  Add in a poor game for Davis who looked completely lost at times and Kamara who was being drawn inside too often (perhaps due to Davis) then the gaps in wide areas were far too big and we were lucky not to concede more when Liege countered and/or when we gave it away.

To be fair, for the last 15mins of the half we were better and did look dangerous going forward so that's the roll of the dice the manager is gambling on.

Liege's mid block is very difficult to play through. 

In that situation we have to stretch the play, which we did a couple of times then went back to trying to force it through the impossible block!

Kent , Morelos and Roofe need to get on their bikes.

We also need to work out who marks the winger and fullback - I thought our FBs messed it up. Tavernier seemed to be marking the wingback and leaving the wingers free - same with Barisic.