[FT] Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 26; Goldson 44)

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

What games did we perform better in where Morelos wasn't playing (Poznan away is the only one that immediately springs to mind)?

44 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Any answer to this (it's a genuine question)?

I said "at least as good as, if not better". It wasn't a definitive claim that we were better because that is impossible to say when the circumstances in each game are so different. The games Morelos didn't start in are,

2-0 Kilmarnock Home

2-0 Hamilton Away

2-0 Livingston Home

8-0 Hamilton Home

4-0 Falkirk Away

1-0 Poznan Home

2-0 Poznan Away

5-0 Lincoln Red Away

There is no value in analysing that, it's impossible to prove. To my eye, we progress the ball on the deck better with Roofe, Itten and Defoe in the CF role because they are so comfortable taking the ball to feet and playing one touch football (Roofe in particular). Less attacks break down due to a poor touch or wayward pass etc. That's just the way I see it. 

Edited by DMAA

Just going to make one more comment on Morelos to clarify a bit. I think he has proven that that he can be very good as a number 9, an out and out striker, playing on the last man where he can get physical with the CB and focus on getting into the right positions and playing as a poacher.
I just think the false 9, Firmino role actually negates some of his strengths (power, movement in the box, shooting) and exposes some of his weaknesses (technical side of the game). 

Edited by DMAA

For all the different opinions about why Morelos is now playing in his current role, I see a player who looks increasingly low in confidence. Whatever the reasons behind this change, I suspect he isn't going to be able to contain his frustration much longer. I hope I'm wrong because he's been such an important part of our revival.

Looks like he will be punished as Liewell's floosie has till 3p.m. tomorrow to assess if an upgrade on the yellow card will be done.Source for this is STV sports news site.

I say will be as it is him and she will no doubt be happy to punish him before she bows out.

14 hours ago, DMAA said:

Just going to make one more comment on Morelos to clarify a bit. I think he has proven that that he can be very good as a number 9, an out and out striker, playing on the last man where he can get physical with the CB and focus on getting into the right positions and playing as a poacher.
I just think the false 9, Firmino role actually negates some of his strengths (power, movement in the box, shooting) and exposes some of his weaknesses (technical side of the game). 

Well reasoned point regards the football side of it but I don't think that is the real issue here.

If SG&Co think he is the best footballer in the squad for whatever role, then fair enough and aslong as results continue the way they are going, no problems.

The most important thing for SG&Co is to continue the positive results, continue the momentum and not let enter doubts or negative history repeat itself.

Where are the risks ? 

On Sunday, we saw something that we'd hoped had been sorted. Very early in the game, the Morelos challenge that we were very lucky didn't produce a red card. Was it a huge surprise, no, not really. Exactly a year ago this morning, the same general narrative as this season, was that Morelos had screwed the nut and improved his discipline (only 2 league bookings to that point in the season). However by late afternoon he had doubled the bookings and been shown a red. The second booking being a gesture during a goal celebration, stupidity, that we had seen before.

The week before, he had played very well but didn't score in the League Cup Final against Celtic. The media went to town on him #frustrated

At the end of the same month, we would see another stupid red card against Celtic, that cut our options for the post winter break games.

A year previous to that he was the talk of Scottish fitbaw during the whole winter break as the compliance officer cited him for the same fixture.

The first European campaign towards the groups stages under SG&Co came under threat when Morelos had a first half brain fart in Ufa and stupidly got sent off. We got away with it.

Same season: Petulant League Cup booking versus Ayr Utd = No decent strikers for semi-final and elimination

The conclusion is

- His temperament and stupidity has cost us many times

- He does and will not learn. Frustrations will get the better of him

- He isn't and hasn't been sharp/on-form for about 11 months

- He is looking frustrated

- We got away with it on Sunday but it could have cost and led to a change in momentum

- We can't trust him

Would you play him in what will be the most important OF match for SG&Co to date ?

Previous is no goals and two red cards

Celtic will be targetting this game for a momentum shift. The media reaction after Tannadice will remind officialdom to remark Alfredos card. Risk (re.AM) is high IMO

I'd play Itten through the middle against St.Mirren tomorrow and see how he does against a fairly organised side.

I'd be asking Ross Wison what options may be available in January to sell and replace Morelos.

Further decisions would be dependent on Itten showing up well for several games and what options were available in the transfer window.

Edited by buster.