[FT] Rangers 1 (Hagi 33) - 0 Hibernian

18 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Crosses.

Since Standard Liege, the number of crosses into our box has been increasing. We lost two goals to Liege crosses, lost a goal at Tannadice to a cross, two at Love Street, one against Motherwell, and yesterday? Well, none but Hibs had seven corners, four or five free kicks, and the same number from open play, beginning in the fifth minute. Fifteen balls into our mixer per game is a test of the law of averages. 

Stop the crosses, at the very least reduce the number.

Wide areas have tended to be our source of joy, whether it be in creation or defence but I think you are spot-on with how things are developing, defensively. I'd add that opposition seem to be tentatively developing counter measures against the freedoms enjoyed by Tav and Borna in the first half of the season.

If we look at league fixtures, Ryan Jack last played on the 22nd of November against Aberdeen. For me, there is no doubt that he and Connor Goldson are the most important parts of our defensive efforts when you take into account the way we play as a whole. In other words, I think Jacks continued absence can be illustrated with your cumulative point on cross balls into our box.

The last two league games have produced clean sheets but we could easily have conceded and dropped points against Hibs. We didn't, and that is in itself an encouraging sign but as you say, you don't want to keep crossing your fingers and looking to defy the law of averages.

18 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Never a penalty, never! no contact was made, according to the laws of the game which the failed trialist obviously knows nothing about, the Hibs player should have been booked for feigning contact, cheating!.

Did this character, Newell, not go down holding what woulkd be the wrong side of his head, if contact had actually occurred?

A fair percentage of penalties involve minimal or no contact and/or players over-dramatising it.

Quite often, the defender sticks his leg out and the attacker successfully hurdles it but also dives, earning a penalty. 

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

A fair percentage of penalties involve minimal or no contact and/or players over-dramatising it.

Quite often, the defender sticks his leg out and the attacker successfully hurdles it but also dives, earning a penalty. 

Cheap penalties are ruining the game. 

15 hours ago, DMAA said:

Cheap penalties are ruining the game. 

Cheap or expensive,...... the important aspect for me is consistency in awarding them.

Never has been, never will be.......perhaps the 22nd version of VAR might get closer.