A thoroughly enjoyable article there, however I found myself agreeing with hardly any of it. 

I will pick out just a few, Bassey has one bad game out of the 12 or so he has played, and in a game there were no pass marks for anyone, and all of a sudden he is rubbish? 

SG threw the league cup by not making a sub at the right time? Come on that’s just utter nonsense. SG has not mastered the art of subs in his time here, yet, and you could tell by his post match how angry and upset he was at our elimination that he badly wanted to win this trophy. Really badly. 

I did love and agree wholeheartedly with the points gap point made above. To my mind it is 7 points, and the tims are quick to agree with this number, but we know we will have blown a 16 point lead if they catch us according to our media and the bheasts. Let’s hope we don’t get to find out how true that becomes.

On 26/12/2020 at 11:21, Tannochsidebear said:

A thoroughly enjoyable article there, however I found myself agreeing with hardly any of it. 

I will pick out just a few, Bassey has one bad game out of the 12 or so he has played, and in a game there were no pass marks for anyone, and all of a sudden he is rubbish? 

SG threw the league cup by not making a sub at the right time? Come on that’s just utter nonsense. SG has not mastered the art of subs in his time here, yet, and you could tell by his post match how angry and upset he was at our elimination that he badly wanted to win this trophy. Really badly. 

I did love and agree wholeheartedly with the points gap point made above. To my mind it is 7 points, and the tims are quick to agree with this number, but we know we will have blown a 16 point lead if they catch us according to our media and the bheasts. Let’s hope we don’t get to find out how true that becomes.

Glad you enjoyed it, Tannochsidebear and thanks for pointing out where you disagree with me - more than fair comment and it gives me a chance to clarify on those two points.

I'm not feeling Bassey is a bad player. Quite the opposite. I think he's a great player for his age (21 on Hogmanay!) - a really exciting prospect. I just feel that night in Paisley - after a couple of wee defensive switch-off moments at Falkirk in the previous round which couldn't distract from a great all-round performance but would've been punished by better opposition - confirmed he's still more in the "potential" bracket than a like-for-like swap for Borna.

You're absolutely right, our League Cup exit was his only bad game and he's not the only one who was slightly off it that night. What I was trying to say is the bigger and harder the game* the more unfair it is to field the likes of young Calvin in a side with other changes to it. If he keeps developing he could easily end up being better than Barisic. He's just not there yet, for me anyway, (and it's no criticism to not be as good as a class act like Borna) but needs more matches where he's the only second-stringer on the pitch. He needs more careful nurturing.

My general point is that Paisley - our first defeat of the season - didn't prove we suddenly have a bad squad. Rather it showed how that squad is best utilised. Like most people, as we got into December without a single defeat across three competitions (and all our pre-season friendlies), I was starting to believe we were a couple of signings away from having two completely different starting XIs, one as good as the other. I think that night told us we had some players who could be swapped with no drop in standard and some squad players who needed more time, more games and/or to be utilised more sparingly.

Re SG chucking the League Cup I do say, at the start of the second last para, "Gerrard didn’t deliberately chuck the League Cup". But he probably felt he had no choice, the schedule being as intense as it is, and the league title being the priority, other than to field the slightly more experimental team he did in Paisley. Stevie G doesn't know how to chuck stuff - he knows you can't switch it on and off. It's all or nothing with him. 

But he also knows you'll end up winning nothing if you run your best players into the  ground by the half-way point of the season. All I'm saying is he's been given more insight into what games afford him the chance to rest which players. I'm as sure as I've ever been that we're in the safest of managerial hands.

Which, if you know my history on predictions, is just asking for trouble but - I cannae help it - Stevie G has us all believing.

*While we've often found St Mirren away a bit of a struggle down the years, as a club, it's only recently been established that Jim Goodwin might seriously know what he's doing at this level, so I in no way blame anyone at Rangers for thinking this was a game in which we could rest a few first choice bodies.