The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is that a mini-bowl cut?

It's the kind of haircut that young professional footballers who think the world of themselves but who suffer from homesickness in Inverness, would get.

??

On 06/01/2021 at 03:11, buster. said:

I don't think the really big clubs with financial clout will be after Kai Kennedy.

That is the stuff of tabloid articles.

Kennedy will be 19 in March and that is young with a lot of room for development but these days, the elite youngsters are increasingly making their mark at the top level prior to that age.

I'm glad we seem to be keeping him but we've heard this so many times and never see them near the first team.

If they are good enough, we need to start giving them more opportunities.

If they aren't, then the recruiting/development of youngsters isn't working.

When we do get a Billy Gilmour, we don't even get to see him.

If we are a club where the level of demand on managers isn't conducive to 99% of 21st century young footballers getting oportunities..... and the other 1% get taken by big clubs at 16 years old, is it worth it ?

I'd say Dickson or Barjonas should get an opportunity to be first cover/play if neccessary given the current situation. The talk of the steamie is to go out and bring cover in....The lad Kelly, on loan at Ross County should IMO be in the squad next season.

Finance is a consideration and we also need more of our own developed players for the European squads in the future.

Liverpool were sniffing around  Kennedy in the summer.  Source is impeccable.  Indeed, it was their interest which sparked the standoff between player and Rangers at the time as he was looking for ridiculous wages.  

Kennedy and Dickson are considered to be, by far, the best of the bunch in the reserves presently.  Game changers who improve everyone around them apparently.

22 minutes ago, craig said:

Liverpool were sniffing around  Kennedy in the summer.  Source is impeccable.  Indeed, it was their interest which sparked the standoff between player and Rangers at the time as he was looking for ridiculous wages.  

Kennedy and Dickson are considered to be, by far, the best of the bunch in the reserves presently.  Game changers who improve everyone around them apparently.

I've always liked the look of Dickson, ever since the Alkass Cup success.

Midfielder who has a knack of scoring important goals.

As for Kennedy and Liverpool. 

Sniffing around is a long way away from confirming interest, never mind signing.

Had they sniffed and smelt roses he'd most likely be gone.

If the player was of a level to have elite clubs as realistic suitors, he wouldn't have signed this contract.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

I've always liked the look of Dickson, ever since the Alkass Cup success.

Midfielder who has a knack of scoring important goals.

As for Kennedy and Liverpool. 

Sniffing around is a long way away from confirming interest, never mind signing.

Had they sniffed and smelt roses he'd most likely be gone.

If the player was of a level to have elite clubs as realistic suitors, he wouldn't have signed this contract.

Doesn't mean they weren't interested and doesnt mean his head hadn't been turned.  Have it on good authority that after knowing of the interest from them his demands increased exponentially - and the club took the attitude that there was no way that they were going to be paying what he wanted and, despite SG being impressed with him, they werent prepared to pay him what established 1st team players have received.  Liverpool weren't the only suitors.

Not every player leaves simply because a big club wants them.  Leon King is a perfect example.  Again, on exemplary information, Man Utd considered him the best player in his age group in Europe - interest was definitely there - but the lad is a "home buddy" who hates being away from home and family - so even though the salary Rangers offered him was likely far less than that being offered down south, he didnt want to leave home.

Not every young player will sign with an elite club just because they are elite or just because they pay more.  Another example would be Karamoko Dembele across the city - signed with Celtic despite being courted by Man City.

40 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Aye, knew about this one a week ago.  A friend is best mates with his Mum.  Better to get first team games competitively in League Two than be at Morton I would suspect.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Aye, knew about this one a week ago.  A friend is best mates with his Mum.  Better to get first team games competitively in League Two than be at Morton I would suspect.

Another strange one, the very little I have seen of him he always looked a real talent, no idea now if he has a future with Rangers but he defo had/has the potential 

10 hours ago, craig said:

Doesn't mean they weren't interested and doesnt mean his head hadn't been turned.  Have it on good authority that after knowing of the interest from them his demands increased exponentially - and the club took the attitude that there was no way that they were going to be paying what he wanted and, despite SG being impressed with him, they werent prepared to pay him what established 1st team players have received.  Liverpool weren't the only suitors.

Not every player leaves simply because a big club wants them.  Leon King is a perfect example.  Again, on exemplary information, Man Utd considered him the best player in his age group in Europe - interest was definitely there - but the lad is a "home buddy" who hates being away from home and family - so even though the salary Rangers offered him was likely far less than that being offered down south, he didnt want to leave home.

Not every young player will sign with an elite club just because they are elite or just because they pay more.  Another example would be Karamoko Dembele across the city - signed with Celtic despite being courted by Man City.

Fair enough Craig and I don't doubt your sources but I'm a cynical bastard and I've seen these headlines about a list of elite clubs being after so many youngsters and rarely does anything come of it. Betweens agents, inewspapers, social media sites, etc, I think the detailed truth of what is/has happened is often stretched.

Billy Gilmour is often cited as the exceptional talent that came through our system.

I'm impressed with the lad and not just about his talent as a footballer. It's the professional and mature aproach to his job and the limelight that makes me look at a wee guy in generally a big mans game and think that, he could be the real deal. 

I don't see that with Kennedy but that is just my largely uninformed opinion/hunch.

I remember Brenden Rogers saying how in England the youngsters at the EPL clubs were on a different level when it came to professionalism and dedicating themselves to the game opposed to the majority in Scotland. Not talent, but an approach that gave them a chance to make the most out of what they had......It reminded me of so many European dissapointments over the years, when you'd hear someone say bigger, faster, stronger, about our opponents.

SG has brought real professionalism to the club and that is why we are, where we are both at home and abroad.

It's been a long time coming.

I jus hope it's rubbing off on the academy production line regarding finished products.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

I remember Brenden Rogers saying how in England the youngsters at the EPL clubs were on a different level when it came to professionalism and dedicating themselves to the game opposed to the majority in Scotland. Not talent, but an approach that gave them a chance to make the most out of what they had......It reminded me of so many European dissapointments over the years, when you'd hear someone say bigger, faster, stronger, about our opponents.

Correct. I once heard Bob Crampsey say what I had often thought: “They (the Europeans) even run out of the tunnel better than we do.”

Edited by Scott7