The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

I like this buying model. Not every player is going to be a Glen Kamara but it's worth taking a punt on these guts at such a low fee (or free if out of contract). To be honest, after getting GK for 50 grand, I am more than happy to put my trust in SG and his scouting dept to spot a player. What price would GK be now if we were to sell him? 

9 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I like this buying model. Not every player is going to be a Glen Kamara but it's worth taking a punt on these guts at such a low fee (or free if out of contract). To be honest, after getting GK for 50 grand, I am more than happy to put my trust in SG and his scouting dept to spot a player. What price would GK be now if we were to sell him? 

And we really got Kamara for nothing. The £50K was just so that we could get him a few months earlier. 

Ofoborh looks to be one for the future, although he may be able to do a job now (in terms of squad depth) if we're looking to do a deal now. There won't be too much pressure or expectation on him. 

For me, Simpson is the interesting one: he's 24, and by a few accounts he's played very well for Bournemouth this season (until being taken out the squad when the Cardiff bid came in). I believe he's a left-footed, ball-playing CB. He's more like someone who can come in now and play. 

It suggests Katic is still out for a while or surplus to requirements, and/or Edmundson is surplus to requirements. 

Jack Simpson, meanwhile, has played 12 games this term and continues to impress. It's not Simpson's first season at the Cherries, however, and he has previously worked alongside Eddie Howe while the club were in the Premier League.

And the former boss was a big fan and reckoned, even back last year, that the now 24-year-old has a big future in the game, at the top. He told the Echo last year: "He is a player of huge potential and promise but is coming to an age where he probably feels he needs regular football. It’s obviously got to be right for us and for him.

“He’s got that rare composure on the ball. I remember one of the early performances he gave at Chelsea, as good a performance I’ve seen with the ball from a centre-half in a long, long time. He’s got that ability to find passes under pressure. He seems to rise to the occasion, which is a great quality to have mentally.

“Physically he’s good. He is six foot three, he can head the ball and is athletic. He does have everything – the only thing missing for Jack is the experience that a lot of the other players have.”

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19032658.jack-simpson-rangers-eddie-howe-said-bournemouth-ace-huge-potential/

I think Bournemouth players are really well coached. They've been instilled with a good work-ethic, while also being exposed to the more technical side of the game. Howe always tried to play the game the right way.  

11 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Simpson is 24 but doesn’t seem to have played very many first team games. That’s a bit of a concern for me. Not sure he’d be able to step into our first team right away

Maybe not, but it's not therefore a "concern". Ideally, you want someone to play hundreds of games, but we then couldn't afford them. 

This is the opportunities of scouting. 

You have to look at their individual circumstances. 

Simpson's been part of a PL team for the last 5 years, with a very stable and successful back 4 (including a £40M player in Ake), so is he really expected to play more games? He's clearly been kept around and played a handful of games in the PL because they felt he had talent. 

This is the opportunity for us: getting a player, cheaply, who has the ability to play in the PL, but hasn't quite managed to, due to circumstances. 

Goldson was the same (around 30 games in 3 years at Championship level). 

It's difficult to gauge a transfer target properly without first knowing who the club expects to move on in the summer, I think we should be prepared for a few familiar faces to move on and it reassures me that Gerrard doesn't think his mission is accomplished by winning one SPFL title. Long way to go yet hopefully - we need to be laying the foundations of many years of success.

CMs ... well, recently SG was saying that he`d like to extend Davis` deal for another season. Then we have Jack, Kamara, and Zungu. Arfield, IMHO, is more an battling attacking MF than a CM/DM. Then there are those not-too young youngsters on loan, or e.g. Dickson. That would suggest that we won`t go along with siging Zungu after his loan, if we take on Ofoborh. Likewise, the arrival of Simpson may very well mean the departure of Edmundson.