Jim McLean - An Appreciation

Fantastic obit John.

Would loved to have seen that United side go up against Liverpool in the European Cup final in Rome in 1984. It's such a pity they were on the receiving end of scandalous ref decisions and match fixing (the Roma chief basically admitted it in 2018)

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

Nowt much left to say about Jim McLean after what was an excellent read and tribute from JMc.

I was based up in Arbroath for a few years in the 80's and along with some of the lads nipped down to Dundee to watch  quite a few European ties that included some on the way to that European Cup semi-final.  Great atmospheres and excellent football, a time when some provincial clubs could play a bit.

Ferguson (Aberdeen) and McLean (Dundee Utd) demonstrated where exceptional  management could take a football club. Their teams did more in Europe over several seasons than Rangers or Celtic did in two decades from 73 to 92. 

I'll certainly raise a glass to Jim McLean and what he brought to the party.

Edited by buster.

Great Post!

When I was a boy and just discovering football.  Dundee United under McLean were at the height of their powers. They were a really good team.

I still remember the night they beat Barcelona and the back to back cup finals when they lost to St. Mirren and Celtic. 

Back then they were genuinely a team I liked watching.  Such a shame what Scottish football has become.

2 hours ago, Crimson Dynamo said:

Great Post!

When I was a boy and just discovering football.  Dundee United under McLean were at the height of their powers. They were a really good team.

I still remember the night they beat Barcelona and the back to back cup finals when they lost to St. Mirren and Celtic. 

Back then they were genuinely a team I liked watching.  Such a shame what Scottish football has become.

I believe Dundee Utd have played Barcelona 4 times over 2 ties (60's and 90's) and won all four games. That must be some kind of record?